Sweetrolls:
+3,428
Spared a Coin
PC-NA
Aldmeri Dominion
Gold Coast
wrote:
wrote:
There' s a line between actual discourse and thinly veiled shouts at each other. I used to participate quite a bit in these conversations. I honestly can't say I have as of late.

When threads get this heated over roleplay issues consistently, the problem does not lie in people having thin skin, it lies in the community's inherent toxicity.

y'all motherfuckers need mara

Let's work on that together.
This.

I didn't advocate for a thread lock because I'm out to hurt feelings. The thread needs locking because you guys, quite frankly, are acting like a bunch of Tumblr rejects. And you guys start this shit in every single goddamn thread. It can't ever be a normal discussion. It can't ever stay civil. It has to turn into a self righteous flame war.

Honestly, it's kind of depressing how desperate some of you are to stir up a hateful back-and-forth. It's roleplay. Why in the damn hell has it become so difficult to have an actual discussion on this forum?

Forums are for debating. They aren't meant to be an echo chamber and there's nothing inherently wrong with disagreements. I do agree that I don't appreciate some of the personal insults/insinuations which have been made in this thread but the discussion has been amazingly civil overall considering the volatile topic. People disagree, sometimes strongly, then move on. Is anyone genuinely upset about this thread? That's not the impression I'm getting.

Debate and disagreement isn't always pretty, but screaming for a lock from the sidelines is more disruptive than people disagreeing and going their own way. Same goes for swearing and insulting the people engaging in a debate.

This thread is seriously mild compared to some, it's time to stop panicking. I'm actually impressed with how well most people have been handling this discussion.

And I GENUINELY appreciate that the mods didn't just lock it. Heavyhanded moderation and shutting down any thread with disagreements in it hurts communities more in the long run than letting people express their views!
3NjF17Z.png

Lady Olyviana Ravnore 6znzDGU.pngHouse Ravnore | Imperial Vampire House
6znzDGU.png6znzDGU.pngConclave of Night | Monster Hub Guild
Posted 14 hours ago · Last edited 14 hours ago
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+510
wrote:
I didn't advocate for a thread lock because I'm out to hurt feelings. The thread needs locking because you guys, quite frankly, are acting like a bunch of Tumblr rejects. And you guys start this shit in every single goddamn thread. It can't ever be a normal discussion. It can't ever stay civil. It has to turn into a self righteous flame war.

Honestly, it's kind of depressing how desperate some of you are to stir up a hateful back-and-forth. It's roleplay. Why in the damn hell has it become so difficult to have an actual discussion on this forum?

This is the third post you made in this thread that did not contribute to the topic but merely asked for it to be locked.
wrote:
you guys, quite frankly, are acting like a bunch of Tumblr rejects. And you guys start this shit in every single goddamn thread.
wrote:
It can't ever stay civil. It has to turn into a self righteous flame war.

You are contributing to the toxicity. I challenge you to find a single post I made in this thread that included a single insult at another individual from me. You will not find one. Calling people who participate in this thread a bunch of Tumblr rejects is the literal definition of the very problem you identified. It is the literal definition of being 'self-righteous'. It is the literal definition of not staying civil. It is the literal definition of being impolite and disrespectful to everyone whom you just referred to as 'you guys'.

Please, your only contribution to this thread, five posts, have mostly been off-topic in asking for it to be locked and at least two have lacked civility, respect and politeness for your fellow members of the community. Please, I beg you, cease and desist.

I greatly appreciate Sarin and Rykoth for being impartial in this thread and laying down the rules, especially Sarin in pointing out that it has been stated again and again that simply pointing out that homophobia may exist in individual characters in Tamriel does not imply that the person pointing that out is himself homophobic. I hope that that is settled.

I also hope that the point made, again and again, that there's no cause to deny homophobia on the basis of real-life trauma or 'do we not have enough evils and monsters already?' may be internalized. That argument is morally unsustainable when applied to far more morally abhorrent themes that may be explored in the Elder Scrolls universe, with examples of rape and violence being pointed out.

Finally, it's also a good point in my view that those who refuse to accept the exploration of the theme of homophobia is perfectly capable of simply not roleplaying with, let's say, a homophobic character. Just like an individual need not explore themes of rape and sexual violence, he need not explore themes of homophobia against his consent.
Click Me! -> gltVljx.pngxPxTvOq.png <- Click Me!
mXoyAvJ.png
Posted 13 hours ago · Last edited 13 hours ago
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+1,565
PC-NA
Ebonheart Pact
Skyrim
Since you guys are arguing about arguing.

/thread

I warned everyone. I said way back to stop derailing. You kept on going.
wEdCHxT.png
Posted 9 hours ago
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Page
of 21
NoticeNotices