12 replies
Eve
Sweetrolls:
+398
PC-NA
Ebonheart Pact
Morrowind
My answer to this is short and sweet.

If you enjoy the roleplay, it is worth doing.

If it affects you negatively enough that it impacts your real life, it is -not- worth doing. Your mental and emotional health come first.

Generally speaking, this is why I stepped away from the EP community. The attitudes, both IC and OOC affected me to the point where I became deeply paranoid of anyone and anything, friendly or not.

In my personal opinion, this and -aaaaaaaaaaaaalllll- of this. I don't think it needs to be any more complicated that this. If what you're doing has a positive impact on you as a functioning human being, continue. Obviously we can be sad while reading stories and angry while seeing something we don't like and still function well as human beings. If RP is pushing you into a depressive state that is hindering your ability to be a human being, its something worth evaluating.

Personally, I can tolerate moderately dark stuff, but I know that when I have a high IRL stress level, I can't take some types of conflict without completely freaking out. I noticed this early on and set some limits for myself where I may need to avoid certain interactions and story types during certain moods. Its all about knowing who you are, knowing what you're good with, and following some rules you set for yourself.

Posted Tue at 06:11 pm
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+3,837
Spared a Coin
wrote:

In my personal opinion, this and -aaaaaaaaaaaaalllll- of this. I don't think it needs to be any more complicated that this. If what you're doing has a positive impact on you as a functioning human being, continue. Obviously we can be sad while reading stories and angry while seeing something we don't like and still function well as human beings. If RP is pushing you into a depressive state that is hindering your ability to be a human being, its something worth evaluating.

Personally, I can tolerate moderately dark stuff, but I know that when I have a high IRL stress level, I can't take some types of conflict without completely freaking out. I noticed this early on and set some limits for myself where I may need to avoid certain interactions and story types during certain moods. Its all about knowing who you are, knowing what you're good with, and following some rules you set for yourself.

Would that everyone were so wise. I think most of us who have been doing this for any length of time have been raked over the coals by someone who wasn't.
"I speak the Word from the hidden gulfs that never knew the sun
Send me a servant for my hate, oh scaled and shining One!"
― Robert E. Howard

Conan Exiles Roleplay: http://conanexilesrp.enjin.com/home
Posted Tue at 06:27 pm
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+779
PC-EU
Aldmeri Dominion
Elsweyr

Is playing a horribly troubled character worth doing?

Suppose that would probably depend on what the "trouble" might be and what purpose one had in mind: This one is probably un-suited to comment as "in-character" it is generally relentlessly jovial and curiousity-seeking, but can see several reasons for doing (or being) "horrible"-things.

Perhaps the most obvious would be as some form of "experiment": Maybe there is some feature of Tamriel that seems interesting to investigate? This could be "political" maybe... say it is an Argonian that is seeking to outwardly advance itself within the Pact, but is all the while plotting to betray folk with which it is becoming ever-more friendly in order to avenge historical wrongs? It could be "religious"... maybe it is some sort-of "mage" that has benefited by receiving knowledge from Hermaeus Mora, figuring such knowledge can only be good, and the more questionable demands of this Daedric-God are surely excusable given the benefits? Maybe it is something as simple and practical as being a skooma-smuggler (which one has done)... someone is going to do it, no? If someone is going to do it, it might as well be a one that insists it is for "export-only"... yes?... Do we have a problem here? In all these cases, being "horrible" could be interesting: in observing how others react, one learns something about the nature of Tamriel, or even the nature of how "life" works in general.

Alternately, one could take the Aristotleian view: "Darkness" is useful because it inspires pity and awe... "horribleness" is therefore justifiable because it serves the purpose of the "fiction" itself: Most of the shenanigans of our Vampiric and Lycanthropic comrades might fall under this... their best intentions being forever undermined by the fatal flaws of their "nature"; leading folk to think about the nature of "virtue" and things. Figure the same might apply to the "PTSD"-stuff mentioned... the "pity" such a figure inspires might cause folk to think about the demands societies place on some people, and whether it is justifiable. In these cases, one would be doing "fiction-with-a purpose", a thing with a long (perhaps the longest) History.

Finally, there is what (one suspects) many above seem to lean towards, which is that the "horribly-troubled" makes for a better RP-"fix". RP is about "drama", "troubled" characters are more dramatic, therefore: the more "troubles", the bigger the pay-off. Figure this is mostly the reason for a lot of catastrophic "back-stories" (particularly those involving random and violent orphanage) and a lot of characters which one can only describe as engaging in excessive "lawful-evil" boundary-pushing. This one would advise against this, for the simple reasons that it is without purpose and, given the law of "diminishing-returns" is likely to only escalate to nobody's benefit... perhaps, if one has caught the tone of the OP correctly, your own included.
Posted Tue at 10:13 pm · Last edited Tue at 23:13
Page
of 2
NoticeNotices