• None
  • Light

Hidden Spoils in the Sands - A Field Study Journal

1 reply
Sweetrolls:
+448

Field log: Day 1

My trials and studies on autonomous enchanted armour and weaponry have all proven to be failures. This project over the last year... off and on admittedly... has proven to be a challenge.

The Ayleids and Dwemer have nothing for me in this respect. I will leave the creation of mechanized manifestations to my peers. I want to use magic and magic alone to breathe life into otherwise unorchestrated metal.

It has recently been suggested to me that I travel to the Hew's Bane peninsula of Hammerfell. There are old Ra Gada ruins that are purportedly guarded by ancient and autonomous suits of armour. I have been to Hammerfell many a time. Never seen that.

Perhaps I hadn't heard of it prior due to the local's distaste for magic.

Nevertheless, should this exploration show initial success I will contact the local Mage's Guild and attempt to establish a connection with any scholars who may have an understanding the old history and magics.

My portal to this arid land is open. Even now, as I write, I can feel the hot wind blustering into my tower. Should I find anything of note, I will continue this log.

Field log: Day 4

I have traveled from Abah's Landing to the outskirts of a place known locally as "Bahraha's Gloom". I have it on the authority of my fellow caravaners that there is an ancient evil that dwells within the dank and decrepit tombs. A Yokudan Lich named Magnifico Bahraha. He'd need to be a lich to keep his dust manifested in any sort of form. He might even be older than my mother. By accounts this Lich broods in his lair, surrounded by many necromancers and the damned souls of those pressed into his ever lasting service.

I have a rather excellent vantage from the tree covered ridge I write from. Sketched some birds earlier. Tried to.. at least. Bastards wouldn't stand still. -- I have seen a couple of people go. Whether they're bandits, explorers or necromancers it seems unclear from this distance.

Padding the perimeter of the stonework and surrounding sandstone I have seen no sign of ventilation. I tested a string by many deep and narrow recesses with no luck. I don't want to suffocate into this hole like an idiot. I'd likely end up some brain dead zombie with his trousers around his ankles. Charming thought.

The exterior of the tomb is largely squared in its design. Well cut, smooth stone bricks make up the bulk of the structure. Walls and ceiling appear to be 3-4M thick. Rather ballsy to have a roof that heavy. A flat arch makes for the roof of the recessed entry. Lazy vines make for the only ornamentation on the slight overhang. From floor to ceiling the entry must be 10M tall and similar in depth. Four weathered columns mark either side of the entryway's interior wall. Two large statues stand vigil on either side of the entry way and many man-sized stand in aggressive stances along the columns.

Where the large statues have stone weapons, the man-sized statues bare clean and sharp metal weapons. Superstition never keeps away grave-robbers, I ought to know. That these statues still clutch their metal weapons suggests it would be wise to keep my distance from them.

The local harbourmaster said *Ink stains have ruined this part of the log*

I'll be glad to clamber into the stable climate of the tomb. Better to get intimate with dead things than muddle through these blazing days and frigid nights. This is why I don't live in the desert.

Maybe one of those cute necromancers will fancy a cuddle.
giphy.gif
Posted Feb 15, 18 · OP · Last edited Apr 11, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+448
Field log: Day 5

I have entered the crypt and found it’s climate to be rather temperate, save for the cold that resonates deep within. The entry is as splendourous as I could have imagined. Beautiful vases and ornate containers of assorted wealth fill the hall with such audacity to shame the greatest of Kings and Queens. I can’t say much for their interior decorating however.. note to self.. inquire about employment as a decorator.

There is something about this place that sets me on edge. I.. can’t put my finger on it. My ears on the other hand.. drums.. drums in the deep. My very soul yearns to leave this place. It is dark, and I must admit that even I am afraid to venture further.

Ghosts haunt this hall and there is something about the statues. My intuition tells me there is more to them than meets the eye. I have crept past the wandering spirits and found necromancers. They are torturing and binding human souls, but I’m not entirely sure to what purpose just yet. There are unanimated skeletons piled amongst the corpses in various states of decay. Some appear to be hours old.
I have sketched their magical runes down from a distance. Their skills in conjuration are notable, but their ability to detect my illusion is laughable. I got bored and poked a necromancer in the butt.
I never expected a necromancer to get so spooked. I wonder what happens if a necromancer gets spooped to death during a ritual.. further research is required.

Field log: Day 6

Do not cuddle the necromancers.

In my exploration of the gloom I discovered a fresh source of air.. if you can call it that. A flesh atronach strides a natural cavern and pollutes what may otherwise be a clean pool of water. Steps from the catacomb lead down to the water. Perhaps this was a fresh source meant to outlast a siege? Between the Necrotic Hoarvors and the atronach, I think I’ll stick to swiping the necromancer’s canteens. One had a wonderful wine. Lilandril Vintage. I’d say 2E 531. That was a good year.

The steps that lead to the pool take me down a series of narrow corridors. While making my way down one I had to hold my breath. One of the statues tightened its grip on its blade. I saw the dust fall to its stony boots.

Pressing on, I have found a grand chamber large enough to fit an entire Yokudan longboat. It has shifted and decayed over the centuries. It’s a shame, I would very much like to have seen it in its prime. None the less, I took a couple of hours to sketch the hall while gazing upon the throne seated before the ruined ship.

Slumped in the throne is a sleepy lich. This must be the Magnifico himself.
I had no idea that liches needed a power nap. Is he weakening? Are the necromancers conducting their rituals to keep his.. soul.. batteries alive? I need to find a necromancer to illuminate me. My knowledge base is too sandy to build conjectures.
Hah. Sand.

Guarding the Lich Lord of Snoozes is what I came here to see. At last.. a Mournful Aegis. It is colossal. The size could easily rival a Dwemer Centurion. With no less than six sword wielding arms it stalks this chamber, maintaining a constant vigil. A blue light from within the old Yokudan armour shows an ephemeral mist. The construct is superior to Centurions in at least one way: it does not have legs. Instead, it floats above the ground. It is majestic to behold.. I must know its secrets. Is it a coincidence that this artifact guards a Lich? That the blue light is of a strikingly similar hue to that of the necromancer’s rituals?

From the exterior of the Aegis I cant discern any distinct markings to indicate the source of the magic binding this creation. Perhaps the markings lay inside the armour? If there are markings, what would happen should they be interrupted? I shouldn’t speculate too much until I find an instructor.

Field log: Day 11

The locals of Abah’s Landing are much more hospitable than the necromancers. As it turns out, they are pro-cuddling among other pro-things. Such a breath of fresh air in these politically turbulent times. I think I will spend a few more days sketching the architecture and landscape before I return. I have also met with the captain of a merchant vessel. I will be shipping a number of local artifacts to my tower. I suspect I can resell them for a significant profit to the nobility of Morrowind and Skyrim.

I will spend a few more days here in Abah’s Landing, collecting fine silks and wines for my ruminations and research back home. Now I just need to find a Conjuration trainer who does not turn their nose at Necromancy.
giphy.gif
Posted Apr 11, 18 · OP · Last edited Apr 11, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
NoticeNotices