of 2

SERPENTINE! Defense against arrows in RP

11 replies
Sweetrolls:
+627
PC-NA
Ebonheart Pact
Morrowind
When it comes to mages, I would say a ward is a terrible means to defend against arrows. When it comes to magical barriers to block physical strikes, I always imagined a ward dissipating the kinetic energy over the entire surface of the 'bubble'. A single, high-velocity strike in a single, small point would be an intense amount of force in a very small area to actually dissipate.

I'm not saying it couldn'tcouldn't block it, but it would likely expend a HUGE amount of magika in the process. And if it was a rain of arrows army style? Mage-bane.

Then again, there are always other defenses, such as raising up a wall of stone or ice to block them. Or if a mage if feeling ballzy and wants to show off, a ward laced with a disintegrate weapon spell to help soften the blows on their barrier.

Just my thoughts though, I love threads like this XD
Kinravah Telvanni - Dunmer - Wizard Lady of Tel Ravah Tower and Roleplay Guild.
Posted Mon at 09:44 am
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+240
PC-NA
Cyrodiil
Elsweyr
Morrowind
Summerset
The best defense against an Arrow is a solid object between you and the arrow. This is why a warrior in plate armor stands a better chance, as an arrow will deflect off heavy plate (not including the spaces between the plates), or a solid shield can take the hit. Most of the time the arrow will strike and either bounce off or shatter (We're talking a stick of wood with a metal tip flung at a solid target at a high velocity, direct impact will pretty much ruin the arrow).

Though looks like its pretty much discussed, avoidance is the key. Warriors armor and shield can help, mages can make physical barriers with their magic, or trickier casts with higher risks like an air blast or altering the current the arrow flies (still risky, even in the worst of winds, a well shot arrow will find its mark). As long as there is substantial material between the target and the arrow, the risk is negated.
Stories to be Born, Legends to be Made
Posted Mon at 09:53 am · Last edited Mon at 9:53
Page
of 2
NoticeNotices