• None
  • Light

Page
of 7

Cyrodiil Neutral Imperial Werebeast [Imperial] Belisarius Quintus Varro [the horse-lord]

64 replies
I love the way you described him, giving a perfect image of someone who is a leader one wants to follow, a benevolent type who doesn't really try to be a leader, but inspires others to follow. You captured that image very nicely.

I like that you listed being bound by law as a weakness; it's something I'd count as equally good and bad, but I just like that you chose it for a weakness because it can certainly cause as much conflict as being completely against the law.

I have to comment on the arguments of age presented in comments. I feel overall within this community, I have more than once seen implication that people should shy away from playing character's in their 20s or that there is some general distaste towards young characters, and I just feel that shouldn't entirely matter; I don't really agree with the concerns.

Age would logically reflect one's abilities and knowledge, but people should consider how young you can become "good" at something. Consider in the world how many child prodigies there are, how many teenagers with incredible gifts from years of just studying/practicing something. There should be more of a sense of lenience towards younger characters and that they can just as much have a chance to hold their own in a world like that of TESO as the character who is in their 30s or 40s.

Of course, I may be speaking in a biased manner as someone who favors characters in their early twenties, feeling that as someone in my mid-twenties I can more closely relate and consider what a character that age could feasibly know. I also just feel like we need people playing young soldiers as much as we need the older, experienced soldiers!
Posted Feb 23, 14 · Last edited Feb 23, 14
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+1,609
Spared a Coin
PC-NA
Daggerfall Covenant
Gold Coast
wrote:
Dude, I totally forgot your character's last name is Varro.

We're related!

Haha, I was wondering if it was ever going to click with you. ;) They will have to do a little ancestry searching when they meet, and figure it out!

wrote:
I love the way you described him, giving a perfect image of someone who is a leader one wants to follow, a benevolent type who doesn't really try to be a leader, but inspires others to follow. You captured that image very nicely.

I like that you listed being bound by law as a weakness; it's something I'd count as equally good and bad, but I just like that you chose it for a weakness because it can certainly cause as much conflict as being completely against the law.

I have to comment on the arguments of age presented in comments. I feel overall within this community, I have more than once seen implication that people should shy away from playing character's in their 20s or that there is some general distaste towards young characters, and I just feel that shouldn't entirely matter; I don't really agree with the concerns.

Age would logically reflect one's abilities and knowledge, but people should consider how young you can become "good" at something. Consider in the world how many child prodigies there are, how many teenagers with incredible gifts from years of just studying/practicing something. There should be more of a sense of lenience towards younger characters and that they can just as much have a chance to hold their own in a world like that of TESO as the character who is in their 30s or 40s.

Of course, I may be speaking in a biased manner as someone who favors characters in their early twenties, feeling that as someone in my mid-twenties I can more closely relate and consider what a character that age could feasibly know. I also just feel like we need people playing young soldiers as much as we need the older, experienced soldiers!

Thank you for the great feedback and commentary. I am still developing this character, but this is the basis from which he will be developed once the game is launched. I feel like his young age and current archetype will give him a lot of opportunity to swing one way or another. The military can be very harsh on a person, and war can destroy even the most devout spirit.
Posted Feb 23, 14 · OP · Last edited Feb 23, 14
wrote:
Thank you for the great feedback and commentary. I am still developing this character, but this is the basis from which he will be developed once the game is launched. I feel like his young age and current archetype will give him a lot of opportunity to swing one way or another. The military can be very harsh on a person, and war can destroy even the most devout spirit.

Really kind of a similar thing I'm going for, so I totally understand your approach and choice of a young age. I felt like the dynamic of having a young character in the Legion with minimal field experience, then promptly getting slapped with the Soulburst, would make for wonderful RP. You either endure the aftermath or you don't.
Posted Feb 23, 14
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+1,609
Spared a Coin
PC-NA
Daggerfall Covenant
Gold Coast
Updated with a character theme song and poem by Bruno Frank.
Posted Feb 23, 14 · OP
Sweetrolls:
+14
Could be that he was in the Legion since he was 16: the generally accepted age where a boy becomes a man. That'd give him about 7 years of combat experience under his belt; and at the rate of the Empire's decline, we could definitely assume there was some combat involved.

I agree he wouldn't be a PREFECT, but maybe a quaestor.
8.jpg
Posted Feb 23, 14
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+50
wrote:
Thank you for the insight and critiques. I value opinions and suggestions.

With that said, I believe a case can made be for a 23-year old who has seen at, a minimum, 7 years of military combat experience, assuming he enlisted at the age of 16. I believe 7 years can be enough seasoning to make a man formidable at his profession, given circumstances and being in the "prime of life."

I justify the young age with the character traits because I believe a man that were, say, 33, would not be so pious and fervent in his beliefs. More years in the military would naturally lend itself toward a more jaded, cynical, hardened character archetype, which I am not going for.

Furthermore, the assertion that age is a limiting factor in one's fighting expertise is, more a less, wrong. History is full of examples displaying young men (and "young" is a relative term to us soft modern-world people) who showed formidable skill in combat in spite of their age.

Flavius Julius Crispus, the son of Constantine the Great, assumed command of entire legions at the age of 19 and personally lead daring expeditions. Born in 305 and dead by 326, age was not a limiting factor on this man's ability to fight bravely or skillfully.

The great Hannibal Barca assumed command of the Carthaginian army at the age of 26.

Scipio Africanus was merely 17 when he lead the charge to rescue his father at the Battle of Ticinus (218 B.C.), and 24 when he assumed command and personally lead the army of Hispana.

Alexander the Great was merely 19 when he began his conquest of much of the known world, and personally lead cavalry charges at the age of 20. His age did not impede his ability to 1) fight formidably or 2) use tactics.

Am I saying my character is one of these men? No. What I am saying is that these traits are unique and not out of the realm of possibility. Above the average soldier? Yes.

For what it is worth, I removed the "skilled tactician" from the profile strengths.

I think its pretty feesible that you can be a experienced soldier at your age consider that Alexander the Great died AFTER conquering much of the world at age 33. Also, I don't know about the health and aging of the people of Tamriel but, I think it is safe to say that since education is less important for the average person that the idea of a mature age or "experienced" or adulthood would be a lot lower than the present day. I believe the average life expectancy in the middle ages was like 35? So... if you give tamriel some liberty with magical health care I think we can still say that a 23 year old can be "experienced" if he has started at the time peroid's age of adulthood that is appropriate for tamriel and has fought and battled and so on. Though I would also say, Hey why is no one playing in their late 20s? Everyone seems to be 20 OR 30. You could be the first ;D
Sir Gerard Lothaul. Critics Welcomed!
Posted Feb 23, 14
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+1,609
Spared a Coin
PC-NA
Daggerfall Covenant
Gold Coast
Updated with part one of a short story.
Posted Feb 23, 14 · OP
Sweetrolls:
+1,609
Spared a Coin
PC-NA
Daggerfall Covenant
Gold Coast
Updated with a brief paragraph of history/current events.
Posted Mar 5, 14 · OP
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+587
PC-NA
Daggerfall Covenant
Ebonheart Pact
wrote:

I think its pretty feesible that you can be a experienced soldier at your age consider that Alexander the Great died AFTER conquering much of the world at age 33. Also, I don't know about the health and aging of the people of Tamriel but, I think it is safe to say that since education is less important for the average person that the idea of a mature age or "experienced" or adulthood would be a lot lower than the present day. I believe the average life expectancy in the middle ages was like 35? So... if you give tamriel some liberty with magical health care I think we can still say that a 23 year old can be "experienced" if he has started at the time peroid's age of adulthood that is appropriate for tamriel and has fought and battled and so on. Though I would also say, Hey why is no one playing in their late 20s? Everyone seems to be 20 OR 30. You could be the first ;D

I agree with this. Unless you were a rich person who was enrolled in academies and such during childhood, your education during childhood and your teen years was likely in whatever it was you were going to do as an adult. The concept of being in school until you were 18 simply didn't fly. So, for many characters, if they're in their early 20s, it's entirely feasible that they've been training in their trade for at least a decade.
2co3ln7.jpg
Posted Mar 5, 14
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+1,609
Spared a Coin
PC-NA
Daggerfall Covenant
Gold Coast
Updated with part 1 of a backstory section I am starting called [Origins].
Posted Apr 21, 14 · OP
Page
of 7
NoticeNotices