• Light

Page
of 3

Starting a Khajiit family [all factions, spots still available]

24 replies
Sweetrolls:
+247
Warm sands, stranger!

Or are you a stranger at all? Perhaps we already know one another - perhaps we are quite close, as a matter of fact! Perhaps you are my character's brother, granddaughter, uncle, or anything similar. If you have a tail, fur, and tend to speak in a very characteristic fashion - in other words: you are Khajiit - then you could quite well be any of these. Interested?

I, together with my (IRL) brother, am starting a project that hopefully will result in some interesting interactions between Khajiit of all sorts. We hope to create a family of Khajiit who have split up - or not, if that fits better - but still get together in their family residence and do what families do. What this entails depends entirely on what kinds of characters become part of the family, and how those characters interact with one another around the dinner table. We hope to use this family bond as a platform to kick off great, big stories to pursue, but also as a means to simply relax with a brother, a mother, a sister, or whichever.

This family residence is the house called Sleek Creek house, which the oldest member of the family - my character, Dra'raya, the grandma - has acquired by some curious methods that are yet a little unsolved. She allegedly found it abandoned, after the previous owner, a wealthy Khajiit merchant, decided to kick the bucket without any heirs to give it to. No, this is not the actual in-game Sleek Creek house, which is located just beside Rawl'kha, but another house somewhere in a so-far unspecified location, preferably in the middle of nowhere, with no real connections to any nearby cities or villages. For all this time, Dra'raya simply squatted the place - most likely with other members of the family - and thus just continued to live there peacefully, uninterrupted. When joining the family, you will get full permissions to decorate the house as you see fit.

If you're interested in becoming part of this Khajiit family, simply drop a reply, and then we'll work out the details in PM. We aim to change as little as possible in your character's background story, if you would like to join us with a character you already have. It makes sense for a family of Khajiit to have split up and spread across all of Tamriel, given that Khajiit traditionally are wanderers, so even if they lead wildly different lives, in vastly different places, it can still work out. In fact, that would really make the whole thing a lot more interesting!

So far, the list of family members is rather small, but hopefully, with your interest, it will grow, as families should! Here it is:
Spoiler: Dra'raya (age: 92)Show
Spoiler: S'ahnree (age: 28)Show

We are looking forward to hearing from you, and welcoming you into our little furry family!
Posted Jun 21, 17 · OP · Last edited Jul 4, 17
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+799
PC-EU
Aldmeri Dominion
Elsweyr
This one is game... does this 'shir need a sej'athoka... "fur-brained"... uncle?
Posted Jun 23, 17
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+6
regarding the recent PM, here's my input.
I do not yet have the certain Khajiit character created and my ideas around him so far are mostly game mechanics oriented. Basically I want one character to be the most rogue-y, mainly for thieves guild, dark brotherhood and loot stuff.
Giving that the Khajiit racials give the best buffs for that kind of playstyle: voilá! ...don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not the 'powerhouse' kind of player. I also often make less obvious choices because I like the rp behind it better!

Aaaanyway, here's my basic idea.
Khajiit (duh!) male, young-ish, mid 20's I'd guess, so perhaps a brother to S'ahnree?
Kind-hearted, adventurous but also very impressionable and gullibe. Because of this he often fell in with the wrong crowd, leading to numerous incarcerations across several cities for petty thievery. His kleptomania bordering on the pathologial certainly doesn't help in that regard.

So yeah, that's as concrete as I have it yet, so lots of room for all the details.
I look forward to other people's chracter ideas!
PC-EU
Posted Jul 2, 17
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+247
Hi Calladis, thanks for your interest!

I certainly like your idea! I have no doubt that it will fit well with the family, and make for some great interactions. However, since S'ahnree is Dra'raya's youngest child, and your character is mid 20's, it would perhaps make more sense if your character is the son of one of Dra'raya's older children, and thus a nephew to S'ahnree and grandchild of Dra'raya?

To anyone else reading, there are still plenty of space for more family members. I too am looking forward to hearing other ideas. :)
Posted Jul 2, 17 · OP
Sweetrolls:
+799
PC-EU
Aldmeri Dominion
Elsweyr
Curious... where does Joxx figure this 'shir... "family"... originates?

Owing to the ravages of the "Flu", can imagine there would be quite a diaspora of Khajiit throughout Tamriel who'd be constantly running-into friends and relations by accident. Perhaps if a common location in the "homeland" could be agreed, there'd be not so much difficulty in figuring-out what quara is related to what other quara (cat?).

Given the clannish or tribal nature of Khajiiti society, this'd seem a reasonable "dodge", no?
Posted Jul 2, 17
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+247
I'll admit that I'm not so well-versed in Khajiiti lore that I know the lore of each individual Elsweyr city or village, but I certainly think that the family would have been affected quite viciously by the Khanaten Flu. If we want to know what made the family split in all directions, perhaps this flu could have some purpose? It was only 28 years ago, and could be relevant for a lot of our characters.

As for a common location, I agree that it would be a solid way of tying our characters' background stories together, if we have made them that detailed. Personally, I haven't detailed Dra'raya's background so much that I know where in Elseweyr she originates from, so I'm up for whatever fits the rest of you best. :)

It would make a lot of sense for the Khanaten Flu to have split up this family, driven it apart and scattered it throughout all of Tamriel - it seems like the kind of thing that would fit a lot of characters, if those characters don't have any other reasons to have split from the family (if they have their own, then we'll of course just use that one). Dra'raya, being the eldest of the family, would likely have tried to reunite the family, and sent letters to whoever she could find; or, if possible, encountered them personally. This reunion could very well only have taken place now, 28 years after the outbreak of the Khanaten Flu, because of their discovery of the abandoned house of Sleek Creek, as mentioned in the OP?

I'd very much love to hear some ideas for your characters' background stories (only that which would be known to the rest of the family, of course! If your character has secrets, no need to tell), so we can figure out who was where when and why, and who encountered who at what time, and so on. At the outbreak of the Khanaten Flu of 2E 560, Dra'raya would have stayed for only 3 years, in an attempt to figure out a treatment or even a cure for the flu, but of course failing miserably - this makes her give up all hope and move all the way to Bangkorai, where she embraces a life as a hermit for 23 years. It is only in recent years that she has returned to civilization, and called for this reunion of the family. Until her flight from the flu, she would likely have lived in Elsweyr all her life and taken care of the rest of the family.

That's Dra'raya's piece, and can of course be changed in accordance to what the rest of you think of. I'm looking forward to hearing more from all of you. :)
Posted Jul 2, 17 · OP · Last edited Jul 2, 17
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+6
You're right Joxx, about the family ties. noticed it a little while after I posted. so yeah, I'm fine with my character being a nephew to S'ahnree and grandchild to Dra'raya.

So here's my two cents regarding family background:
Since I presume you want to immerse into Khajiit culture as much as possible I'd opt for a central location, let's say we hail from Corinthe. Dead-center Elsweyr heartland, a city which has existed for a long time, despite Khajiit natural nomadic tendencies, so I suspect a lot of old temples and what not there. The climate there is the transition between the northern Savannah's and southern rain forests, plus it's located in what used to be the kingdom of Pellitine (merged with Anequina in 2E 309) so as a city has a history of being richer than the arid northern region.
What happened there in semi-recent years is unknown, let's settle on diminished inhabitance with razed and burned districts in an attempt to contain the Flu (like they did in Senchal)

During/after the Flu the family split. My character was born two years after the epidemic when his parents settled in Riverhold, near Elsweyr's northern border. He grew up around the marketplace, relatively poor. Due to stealing and trading he eventually found his way across the Larsius river trading route to Bravil. After a year or so of living there was convinced to come with 'friends' to Cheydinhal. Here he eventually was captured by Dunmer slavers, but due to a bout of uncharacteristically good luck he was sprung by escaping slaves while on route between the Kragenmoor slave market and his new owner's home in Ebonheart. This put some fear into him, resulting that nowadays he can heed the words of his elders, despite his impetuous nature.
Perhaps this experience made him travel all the way back to Riverhold where he got wind of a letter from the grandmother he never new addressed to his parents (who may in recent years have died, gone missing or played by other players ;))
PC-EU
Posted Jul 3, 17
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+799
PC-EU
Aldmeri Dominion
Elsweyr
Kha'Jaya.... What a coincidence!

So far as the history of Dar'Zhinski goes, twenty-eight years ago it would have been recently-arrived (and far younger... a Khajiit of only 20-odd years) on the borders of Hammerfell with its' unit of auxiliary limitarei (irregular border-troops) after what was a far more pleasant posting on the lower-Niben in the area of what is now "Border-Warch" North of Leyawiin. In addition to the bizarre and distasteful "orders" it began receiving from its' Imperial officers; the increasingly disturbing news from Elseweyr regarding the spread of the "flu" played a great part in its' decision to "desert" it's comrades and flee Southwards. Notably, a letter (which is the last communication it ever received from these), saying Fado and Ahnurr (mother and father) along with others of its' 'shir had fled Senchal (then the epicentre of the plague) in order to seek refuge with an uncle working as a trader in... Corinth!

In the event, amidst the chaos of Imperial Legions retreating on all fronts, 'Zhinski di'Senchal made it no further than Reapers' March... here it discovered that the border of Elseweyr had been definitively closed... first, temporarily by the collapsing Empire, then, for an indeterminate time, by the Dominion. Eventually, being without resources, it sought, and found acceptance with a... ahem... "society" of fellow Khajiit (all honourable bajiit... "business-persons"... honest!) with which it remains attached.

Since then, Dar'Zhinski and its' surviving cousin Akudarr' in Alik'r, have devoted much time to attempting to discover what became of their "tribe". Accumulating sufficient zreho... "gold"... to buy passage into Elseweyr providing much of the justification for their more... umm... "unusual" trading-ventures.

Either would be astonished to find a new "lead" in looking for lost-ones.

In any event... Corinth is a fine choice: Probably the most cosmopolitan city of Elseweyr, and one with a complicated History... for a long time a City-State independant of both Pellitine and Annequina, at one time ruled by the Empire, second only to Senchal as a trading-centre. In all respects excellent.

If somehow, the brother of Fado' of 'Zhinski turned out to be of the 'shir of Dra'Raya... how remarkable would that be?
Posted Jul 3, 17 · Last edited Jul 3, 17
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+6
Ah cool, stuff is coming together. Also, I just made the character: Jeebi-ma :d
So, Dar-Zhinski's parents and some other relatives fled north to Corinth where Jebbi-ma's parents, also family already resided. From there they eventually split up as the plague spread?
PC-EU
Posted Jul 3, 17
Sweetrolls:
+247
I definitely agree: Corinth is a great choice indeed. Quite central and, as Dar'Zhinski points out, very cosmopolitan, so it should give space for plenty of other characters having had at least some kind of influence here.

It sounds like our background stories could flow quite easily together, from what you've presented so far. If Dar'Zhinski's parents - the mother being a child of Dra'Raya, if I've understood correctly? - resided in their early years in Senchal, Dra'Raya would most likely have stayed with them there for quite some time and taken care of them all as well as she could, mainly by begging on the streets and near temples. Dra'Raya would have given birth to Dar'Zhinski's mother in her late twenties, who then later has Dar'Zhinsky also at an age of twenty or so - because Dar'Zhinsky seems to be in his late 40's or early 50's, which means Dar'Zhinsky's mother is currently (if she still lives) in her 70's, and then I'll just make Dra'Raya a decade older than she is now - so 92, currently. In Senchal, Dra'Raya also has another child, who later gives birth to Dar'Zhinsky's cousin, Akurdarr (if I understood that correctly too), at an age of 36, and moves to Corinth with this child, where she stays and establishes a trade of alchemy and clairvoyance, which sprung from her deep religious tendencies which she developed as a child and young adult in Senchal.

With this trade going surprisingly well, she is able to care for much of the family, and sends funds to whoever has traveled other places, and provides housing for those living in Corinth at this time. At an age of 43, she gives birth to Jeebi-Ma's father, who then has Jeebi-Ma in his late 20's or early 30's - this should fit well, if Jeebi-Ma is currently in his mid 20's, and thus 51 have passed since Dra'Raya gave birth to Jeebi-Ma's father. Dra'Raya remains in Corinth, living well and comfortably through her trade, and she has S'Ahnree at the rough age of 64, no less. Unfortunately, just 5 years later, the Khanaten Flu strikes, and her comfort comes to an abrupt end. She spends three years in Corinth, desperately trying to find a treatment or cure for the flu, but becomes disheartened when she loses both her husband and her second child to the flu. She blames herself and flees from Elsweyr into the Bangkorai wilderness, where she spends 20 years raising the 8-year-old S'Ahnree.

I hope this ties in well with what you had in mind. I'm a tiny bit confused about Dar'Zhinski's ties to the family, though.
wrote:
If somehow, the brother of Fado' of 'Zhinski turned out to be of the 'shir of Dra'Raya... how remarkable would that be?
If the brother of Dar'Zhinski's mother is Dra'Raya's second child, doesn't that mean that Dar'Zhinski's mother is Dra'Raya's child too? Or did I misunderstand something?

To make this a bit easier to understand, I've made a little family tree here. The ones marked "[nameless]" are, by the way, empty spaces for anyone outside reading this who wants in on the fun - and, of course, other spots can be filled as well, which have not even been mentioned in this family tree. :)

3PtczLF.png
Posted Jul 4, 17 · OP
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Page
of 3
NoticeNotices