Page
of 4

On Magic - An RP Guide for Using Magic

38 replies
Sweetrolls:
+13
XB1-NA
Daggerfall Covenant
Illusion is not just about belief. In Oblivion's Illusion School there is also Light spells (which actually illuminate the area around the target) and Night Eye spells (which bestow the ability to actually see in the dark). So I can see why Silence would fall into the Illusion category, and have nothing to do with whether or not the target believed they were silent.
Posted Feb 5, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Art
Sweetrolls:
+1,673
I've added a small bit about the consequences of learning/practicing magic and a short bit by Sotha Sil in 2920, The Last Year of the First Era on explicitly how spellcrafting actually works, as well as teaching it.
FUdp6jx.png

Art#1228 - The Viridian Mystery I | Sir Salazar Halt | Ra Akam at-Arridi

Poetics | Provoking Fear | An RP Guide for Magic | The Grimoire
Posted Mar 18, 18 · OP
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Art
Sweetrolls:
+1,673
added a bit of wolfhunter and Summerset lore.

NOTE: these are not filled out yet. I'll be getting to them very soon

Mind Magic

Complex Alchemy

The Old Ways

Distinct Magic

Oblivion and the Mundus

And a glossary of terms for people. Everything from transliminal to the Walking Ways to dracochysalis. If you have a scholarly character and don't know much about the more esoteric metaphysics but want to RP it, this is a one-stop-shop. And I thank stendarr everyday that these words aren't just technobabble and actually have meaning.

ALSO: will be editing and cleaning up some things as, like everyone, my model of the godhead and the dream has changed
FUdp6jx.png

Posted Jul 11, 18 · OP · Last edited Jul 11, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+287
PC-NA
Cyrodiil
Elsweyr
Morrowind
Summerset
I am curious on this material, very insightful, but does give a limited insight into shamanism and spiritism. Mind Khajiit's magic and rituals involving the moons and their connections to the spirit world beyond normal arcana has been touched on, but not quite detailed at the moment, but that bares to ask, how do they work, what are their limits and capabilities? Ko'dahra was trained as a Shaman, or a witch, which gives her knowledge into the spiritual workings of Khajiit, but with such limited knowledge out there, its hard to fully comprehend how Khajiit 'magic' works.
Stories to be Born, Legends to be Made
Posted Jul 11, 18
Art
Sweetrolls:
+1,673
We don't know explicitly, but we can infer

People have a tendency to look at things like most High Fantasy settings. In most settings, like Warcraft, for instance, there are "two "types" of power.

Holy magic, derived from the gods. The Paladin and Priest.

Arcane magic, derived from magical energy. The Mage and Sorcerer.

That's a simplification of things (Warcraft has a things like Fel magic, Void, etc), but it generally is true. TES magic is a bit different, because magic to them is science to us. It's a tool, it's what creates the Mundus. It's raw aetherial energies warped into what the user wants. God magic and science magic, well, they are one in the same. Like thread can be sewn into different colour sweaters or or even different clothes, or maybe even something that's not to be worn! All comes back to the same thread used to make it.

So when you look at shamanism and spiritism, is this not normal arcana at its core? It's weaved differently, sometimes people like the Psijics weave it far far better than other people, but the essence of magic is the same. Is spiritism not mysticism? Is shamanism not destruction, alteration, or restoration? The Khajiit practice different things, use different weaves, but at the end of the day, is it not just a different coloured sweater? That sweater might not feel good when rubbed against other coloured sweaters, it might be made of a fundamentally different weave, much in the way Ayleid magic, a definitive absolute concept, is incompatible with Bosmeri magic, a fluid perhaps concept, as the tome Aurbic Enigma 4: The Elden Tree says, but does it not hold, at its very core, the same potential and power as all other forms of magic?

Beredalmo the Signifier wrote:
Next the fanglement: Anumaril brought forth Segment One among the roots and showed it to the golden nut, and this told an ending, so that the stone became a Definite Acorn. That Elden Tree would not walk again, but Anumaril yet had further intentions for it. Using his dentition as tonal instruments, he dismantled his bones and built of them a Mundus-machine that mirrored Nirn and its planets. And when he had used all his substance in fangling this orrery, he placed the segment-sceptre within, hiding it between the Moons.

Then he waited—but what he waited for did not eventuate, and perchance he's waiting yet. For Anumaril had hoped to convert Green-Sap into White-Gold, and thereby make the Heartlanders' realm anew. However, Anumaril did not know, and was not able to know, why his plan went awry. You see, Ayleid magic is about Will, and Shall, and Must—but under Green-Sap, all is Perchance.

Therefore, I would assume that the type of magic is not really relevant in regards to potency, rather that it is the individual skill of the user which decides to improve upon the magical base set by their predecessors.
FUdp6jx.png

Posted Jul 11, 18 · OP · Last edited Jul 11, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+287
PC-NA
Cyrodiil
Elsweyr
Morrowind
Summerset
wrote:
snip
I hadn't considered that. Granted a lot of Spiritual Magic seems to border deeply in the fields of Mysticsm, but also in regions of Necromancy, as they tie deeply into spiritual communion (rather than enslavement, but it is not unheard of) its just finding out how it fits in all of it. Still, it does shine a light on the aspects of Khajiit variations of rituals and magic.
Stories to be Born, Legends to be Made
Posted Jul 11, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+4,687
Spared a Coin
PC-NA
Daggerfall Covenant
Ebonheart Pact
Hew's Bane
High Rock
This is so cool. I return to it often.
enjin-1158862-9638302-blue.png
Posted Aug 4, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Art
Sweetrolls:
+1,673
wrote:
This is so cool. I return to it often.
I gotta redo a bit of it- clean it up, add some stuff, revise a few bits. While my understanding of the Aurbis hasn't changed drastically, the evidence I provided is very weak in review, compared to what it could be.
FUdp6jx.png

Posted Aug 4, 18 · OP
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Art
Sweetrolls:
+1,673
Small update regarding the nature of Oblivion and the Mundus.
FUdp6jx.png

Posted Sep 13, 18 · OP
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Page
of 4
NoticeNotices