• None
  • Light

Looking for the RP Family I've Never Had

6 replies
Sweetrolls:
+7
I'm fairly new to The Elder Scrolls in general. I only bought and played Skyrim in 2015, and that was limited to a couple of days. I revisited Skyrim when the Special Edition released in 2016 and listened to an entire YouTube series on the Lore of the Elder Scrolls (every race and their origin story, specifically). I also got into the creation tool and more modding and then life took me away from it all.

I have also played at ESO for a couple of years or so, but never found a niche. What I want from ESO, like any MMORPG I play is role play, which I never seem to find. It's always hard for me to find a place in the RP communities. (Any efforts just literally go nowhere.)

So this is my attempt at it here. I'd like to find people who will let me be a part of their story. I don't even want to be the hero, just a party member!

I currently have multiple characters with varying levels of concept (some fully baked and some half):

My first character from 2015: a Nord Warrior-Skald (I know it's very cookie cutter but I love this concept)

New Characters in 2017:

A Breton Bard (I really love Bards and this was a way for it to be maybe sort of less cookie cutter)
An Argonian Bard (This was a way to push the lore boundaries and explore the Argonian race in a way I enjoy - it's different)
A Khajiit Sneak-Thief (I mainly wanted to play around with the race and the sneaky-thiefy mechanics offered by the series)
A Dunmer Noble (This character originated as an antagonist in a quest mod I made for Skyrim)

I also have a Bosmer Warden for the sake of trying out Warden, but he's basically just that and has no concept or story.

Sorry for the long post; I appreciate the community you've all built and hope I can find a way to become an active part of it!
Posted Jan 12, 18 · OP
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+4,390
Spared a Coin
PC-NA
Daggerfall Covenant
Ebonheart Pact
Hew's Bane
High Rock
Welcome to the madness. The good... there are a fiendish amount of knowledgeable, fun and talented people here to play with. The bad? If this is a family it's horror movie levels of dysfunctional. LOL So watch your back. That said, there's tons of fun to be had, especially if you manage your expectations wisely. I always advise people to check out the Discord Hubs. Join a few and get to know some folks before you make too many decisions regarding your characters or committing your guild slots. Ask whatever questions you have here, someone is almost always sure to answer. Enjoy!
enjin-1158862-9638302-blue.png
Posted Jan 12, 18
Sweetrolls:
+4,020
Spared a Coin
PC-NA
Cyrodiil
Gold Coast
Welcome to ESO! In my opinion this game has the healthiest, most active RP community of any MMO currently on the market. The best part is there are a ton of "niches" of RP (mage stuff, combat stuff, racial stuff, monster stuff, nobles, criminals, etc) so no matter what type of RP you like you'll probably find something.

My suggestion, if you've never found a RP "family" so to speak is to tailor your character specifically for a guild. This can be daunting, I know, but it's what I've always done and I've always had success with it. And the risk isn't even that great--all you really have to lose is time, lol.

In other words, scout out a guild or guilds (I recommend not joining more than 2 RP guilds to start or you'll inadvertently neglect them all), tailor a character specifically to be a great fit for that guild, and dive in.

I created my ESO main specifically for her guild and she's been with it for 2 years strong... before that I tailored my TOR main for a group and stayed with it for 4 years... and before that it was a character I created for a guild in SWG and stayed with it for 4 years. It won't always work, of course, but I've always felt the people who struggle the most to find a home are those who are super individualistic in their RP, create a solo character and then can't find an environment that's a perfect fit. Sometimes it can be a lot more rewarding to create a character for a project from the ground up.

Just a suggestion! I wish you luck :)
3NjF17Z.png

Lady Olyviana Ravnore 6znzDGU.pngHouse Ravnore | Imperial Vampire House
Posted Jan 12, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+7
wrote:
I've always felt the people who struggle the most to find a home are those who are super individualistic in their RP, create a solo character and then can't find an environment that's a perfect fit.

That's a good point and a great suggestion; I appreciate the feedback!
Posted Jan 12, 18 · OP
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+645
PC-NA
Daggerfall Covenant
Cyrodiil
Gold Coast
Echoing a bit of what Beltane said - Tailoring a character to fit in with guilds works great. But my guess is that you're not quite sure what you want, so looking at a long list of guilds on different factions with different themes is going to be pretty daunting. Especially if you tailor a character but find out the guild isn't really for you because you're kind of just going in blind, with no prior experience in the community.

My more successful characters were intentionally created to be more "open." Rather than trying to do something specific to fit say, a religious knighthood or something like that. I started with characters who might have decent skills, but emotionally and mentally just didn't know where they were going. I also steer away from strong personalities to start with. Characters who are more charismatic in general are beneficial to getting to know people and establishing bonds that will help you find your way and feel successful. If you head out the gate with a character who is terse, closed off and doesn't let people in close? You'll have a harder time fitting them into a guild and getting roleplay.

But you want to play those characters too, everyone does. That's fine - you find your way with your more fluid, malleable character and you bring your alt in when you feel comfortable. Maybe over time because you've established a rapport with folks, you start maining the character who is harder to get to know. Love to hate characters are especially fun but they can be isolating, if you're not careful about how you get them settled into a guild.

By starting out with a more easy-to-play character who is just looking to fall into something, you'll have a much easier time finding that RP family and then you can develop more from there. I've done this a bunch of times, but didn't do it in ESO until a few months in and I sorta knew the lay of the land. I created a couple open alts and the one I didn't expect to play much ended up being my main and is the first time I've mained a male character in an MMO.

The other thing I think may help you is to kind of express what you're looking for in a Roleplay family. What is it you are seeking from a guild? Do you want a close knit group? Or do you want a large guild that enables smaller groups to form inside of it? Do you want a solid mix of roleplay or do you really want a strongly themed guild that only certain characters fit into? Do you want a lot of IC structure or something loose?

Do you want to be around only 18+ folks? Do you want darker themes or do you want to shy away from that? Figure out what you don't want, and then start looking at -active- guilds, and removing the ones that don't apply from your list. Join an active hub guild or two, ask around to get information about the guilds you're looking at. Fortunately, you have 5 guild slots. So if you narrow it down to say.. 3? You can use the other 2 for hubs or a trade guild and a hub, then kinda figure out which of those 3 feel 'right' to you and stick with them.
Check out: MMO Artist's Collective Discord | Roleplay Community Location Listing

Looking for me?
ESO: @Rhoande - Discord: Rhoande#1942
Characters | Thris Elswor | T'Seme Darkwater | Careth Tal'Ora | Malshok |

Posted Jan 12, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+7
Thank you for the helpful suggestions! The three characters I enjoy most are actually bard-type characters. Of those, my main character, the Breton, is very open-ended. He's simply looking to accompany heroes so he can share their experiences, for himself and for the benefit of others (stories of heroes inspire new heroes). I feel like he fits exactly what you've described will help me intermingle in an RP guild.

I really appreciate the helpful feedback!
Posted Jan 12, 18 · OP
Sweetrolls:
+23
PC-NA
Ebonheart Pact
Gold Coast
Yoo I just started a rp Assassin guild <Order of Blight> you should fit in just fine. I'm also looking for peeps to help with running if your interested add me @Gil'lorik
Posted Jan 12, 18
NoticeNotices