bump
Posted Feb 8, 18 · OP
Sweetrolls:
+52
PC-NA
Ebonheart Pact
Cyrodiil
Morrowind
I was just wondering how this little group was going. Any updates? :)
“If you like nerds, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.”

Nidria Dalorayn, Assassin of the Dark Brotherhood || Ivenne Vedeois, Priest of Arkay
Posted Feb 13, 18
Sweetrolls:
+23
I am not finding any adventurers. The only people I found were mostly just cringy assassin vamp characters which I had to turn down.
Posted Feb 13, 18 · OP · Last edited Feb 13, 18
Art
Sweetrolls:
+1,186
wrote:
I am not finding any adventurers. The only people I found were mostly just cringy assassin vamp characters which I had to turn down.

While looking for specific character archetypes is fine and all, don't be a dick about other archetypes that people like to play because it doesn't fit what you're looking for.

It doesn't bode well for your concept.
That doesn't sound right, but I don't know enough about vampiric dragon priest lycanthropes to dispute it.

@Artiemes - The Viridian Mystery | Sir Salazar Halt | Ra Akam at-Arridi

Poetics | Provoking Fear | On Magic - An RP Guide for Using Magic
Posted Feb 13, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+170
PC-NA
Daggerfall Covenant
wrote:

While I play the trope and privately crack this joke about myself, I have to second that being needless. You could have said "I'm not quite finding enough variety in character types/skills for a balanced group." But my reply isn't just to echo someone else pointing that out.

I know you have your set of rules for the way the group functions—surely there are people who share the preferences—but in this type of role-playing community, you are more likely to find players with a "lax" view in the way out-of-character combat correlates to in-character decisions. This especially refers to your rule about your character dying having a consequence of injury for the session.

I think the harsh reality there is that sentiment demands to assume too much control over the way enemies are coded to behave. I could type a very thought-out, strategic post for my character's actions, but I am not responsible if I happen to be within that millimeter of aggro range. I won't assume to speak for anyone, but I'm saying this publicly on the off chance that other people feel put off by that in what sounds like an otherwise exciting concept.

The "champion" role may also be a confusing concept. I would assume people want all characters to realistically be equal in that they all have relevant strengths and weaknesses. In all my experience in RP, no one likes to feel like any one characters gets spotlight over anyone, so that everyone can equally have an opportunity to shine in any scene.

Beyond that, your last remark and small indications of passive-aggressive tone may not have been helping your cause. I hope you can also understand this criticism is meant objectively to guide you toward better success in forming a group, because I acknowledge that I am speaking strictly from my own observations.
Posted Feb 13, 18 · Last edited Feb 13, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+15
wrote:
I'm done with Vvardenfell and my boring jolly tree hugger will definitely be available at 8 EST on the weekend! Timezones make it impossible during the week, sadly.
Dark_Souls_III.png
Posted Feb 13, 18
Sweetrolls:
+23
Since you will be using skills that portray who your character is, I thought it was straight forward when I said I wanted a diverse group. Wearing robes and casing fire balls, then saying you're a paladin... Well, it is not really what I am looking for.

The champion role is to reward any one who is interested in taking on the burden of leading. It is NOT reserved for me, it is available to any one. This is hoping that after seeing some one shine, it might motivate others to want to take lead every now and then.

After being approached by a few teenage assassin's and vampires that wore black and leaned on the wall in a dark corner of the inn, I will stand by my words when I say cringy assassin characters. I am not in a hurry to find any RPers to do this with. I can wait.
Posted Feb 13, 18 · OP
Sweetrolls:
+74
PC-NA
Daggerfall Covenant
Hew's Bane
High Rock
wrote:
Since you will be using skills that portray who your character is, I thought it was straight forward when I said I wanted a diverse group. Wearing robes and casing fire balls, then saying you're a paladin... Well, it is not really what I am looking for.

The champion role is to reward any one who is interested in taking on the burden of leading. It is NOT reserved for me, it is available to any one. This is hoping that after seeing some one shine, it might motivate others to want to take lead every now and then.

After being approached by a few teenage assassin's and vampires that wore black and leaned on the wall in a dark corner of the inn, I will stand by my words when I say cringy assassin characters. I am not in a hurry to find any RPers to do this with. I can wait.
Hi there! While I wholly support the idea of creating a community where anyone has the potential to have a central role, I do not believe insulting a group of people will be doing you any favors in this regard. I completely understand your matter of preference. Preference is respectable, and roleplay is indeed a hobby! That, and some groups may not be wholly accepting for a variety of reasons.

That said, insulting a group of people out-of-character and calling them "cringy" is not the kindest way to respond to criticism. Best wishes, regardless. I'm sure you will attract the crowd you are looking for.
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+170
PC-NA
Daggerfall Covenant
wrote:

There are a lot of ins and outs to the matters of skills, where I believe we are having a disconnect in communication. I'm going to just focus on that mainly.

The out-of-character class chosen does not automatically assume which skills a character actually has for purposes of role-playing. A chosen class is ultimately for how one is approaching playing the game itself, and Elder Scrolls freely allows use of skills and armor in a way that lets you really customize abilities, so class names are effectively moot. I will agree that people generally base this choice on in-character aspects. But this also isn't about having a skill set and claiming to be an unrelated class, and that wasn't what I was saying. This is about the simple fact that you cannot directly correlate game mechanics with role-playing that way, or you can—if you fancy having an awful time and a lot of frustration.

It's a simple fact that skills aren't always cohesive with the reality of lore in a setting, designed foremost for the goal of balancing PvE and PvP content. Your rule on that matter translates to me as "you can describe that your character is assuming to creep around behind enemies with their backs turned, but if you happen to trip the aggro range, ha ha sucks to be you." If that's your aim, follow suit with the many role-players who weave in outside dice roll programs with relevant modifiers based on character skills instead.

Coordinating OOC dungeon crawling and such is tough enough strictly without the RP element. Even when a group is communicating totally on voice to work a strategy, things can go south fast. You're now assuming to add on the detail of fully in-character typing while trying to mind surroundings. It seems illogical, and now focus is split between keeping up with in-character chat and being ready to pop a skill on an enemy. It almost feels like it takes all the effort out of beautifully describing a character's actions and choices just because of what the game happened to do in a given moment.

And once more—if you're going to draw people in to your idea at all, you really need to tone it down with the insistence on judgmental tropes based on your clearly biased view of once specific character archetype, because you're coming off as outright and needlessly rude. I honestly can't repeat that sentiment beyond this point in a polite way. That attitude is part of the reason I never joined this community pre-launch of this game, where I saw a lot of people having a preconceived notion of anyone who specifically plays "assassin" and/or "vampire."

As far as the bit on the death penalty rule, you are obviously free to choose your preference and I can really only give my input and view on it. I just wish you wouldn't be nasty about it in the process.
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Web Wizard
Sweetrolls:
+1,824
PC-NA
Aldmeri Dominion
Daggerfall Covenant
Ebonheart Pact
Cyrodiil
As there already exists a copy of this thread in the proper subforum, I'm giving this one a lock, and I suggest any discussion be directed towards the proper thread.

In the future, please:
– Refrain from creating duplicate threads.
– (For any in-game events, groups, ads, etc.) Try to post in the appropriate subforums so that it will appear only in relevant areas.

Thanks!
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Page
of 2
NoticeNotices