• None
  • Light

Page
of 5

Update – Race, Faction, and Monster Labels; Character Post Filtering (soon)

43 replies
Sweetrolls:
+1,040
Spared a Coin
PC-NA
Daggerfall Covenant
Cyrodiil
High Rock
Wrothgar
Thank you so much Emmy and team! This is fantastic! <3
anhaga mid hrimcealde sæ

Anna Caiohme - The Wandering Wyress
Matthew Dumont - The Pale Knight
Guide on Wyrd Lore | Ethical Necromancy

Posted Apr 17, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Web Wizard
Sweetrolls:
+1,860
PC-NA
Aldmeri Dominion
Daggerfall Covenant
Ebonheart Pact
Cyrodiil
wrote:
This is probably an obtuse idea but I've seen a handful or so of people playing daedra - so that might be a monster label? Otherwise I would like to see this thread of templates stickied so that people don't lose them.

I'll keep that one in mind! If enough people want it, I can add it in—otherwise, the "Other" tag should suffice for now. As for the thread, done and done!

wrote:
Can we clarify as a group, does the faction tag mean political allegiance or where you rp?

I would like to lean toward the latter, as its more relevant when trying to find rp.

Either, or both, as far as I'm concerned. When I see a combination like "AD + Neutral," I'll automatically think, "Oh, they're faction-neutral, but reside primarily in the Dominion." If a character's loyalties are not to any one faction, then it makes sense to use the labels as locations rather than loyalties. And if the label does indicate faction loyalty, that character would still most likely be living in the faction in question, wouldn't you think?

I'll fully support people combining them to indicate whatever fits their characters best.

wrote:
Considering there are character dossiers, pages or what have you all the way from 2013 (and plenty onwards) that are more than likely inactive, I was wondering what the policy on those are? Active / Inactive tags would be too much, wouldn't it? Will x old character pages sit among the active ones, when x old character pages are inactive?

There aren't any policies at the moment for inactive character threads (or inactive threads in general). Part of what makes that difficult for me to think about is that even though the thread may be inactive, that doesn't mean the player is inactive. A couple of my profile threads haven't been posted in since 2015, but it's just because I don't bump them or update them often. I'm still here.

I don't want to create the expectation that we've all got to bump our character threads, either. Posts in Events, Guilds, or RP Classifieds (basically anywhere you'd post an ad) should be bumped if they're still relevant, but I don't believe character sheets should be given the same treatment. Certainly post if you've updated something or if you're replying to a comment, but don't bump character sheets just to bump 'em. Ideally the sorting features I'm working on will help make that seem more viable—and I may consider archiving some of them as well, if we can decide on some good criteria for it.
Posted Apr 17, 18 · OP · Last edited Apr 17, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+928
PC-NA
Aldmeri Dominion
Daggerfall Covenant
Ebonheart Pact
I would like to see some tags that are descriptive; Soldier, Mage, Scholar, Ranger, Wild, Citybound, etc. These would be far more useful when trying to sort through all of the other tags. "Looking for; Partner/Rp Group/Random Rp" etc would also be useful for sorting.
The Aetherial Consortium-"You lot aren't exactly what I expected."

Tamm'lin Shorecraft - Degenerate Magical Catgirl
Tanondil Tare'ane - Staunch Altmer Soldier [with an affinty for bad puns]
Posted Apr 17, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Web Wizard
Sweetrolls:
+1,860
PC-NA
Aldmeri Dominion
Daggerfall Covenant
Ebonheart Pact
Cyrodiil
wrote:
I would like to see some tags that are descriptive; Soldier, Mage, Scholar, Ranger, Wild, Citybound, etc. These would be far more useful when trying to sort through all of the other tags. "Looking for; Partner/Rp Group/Random Rp" etc would also be useful for sorting.

I would consider adding tags relating to other semi-major factions (Mages/Fighters Guild, etc.), but I don't necessarily want to start throwing occupations into the mix—there is, after all, such a thing as too many tags, and I've tried to keep the ones we have simple and helpful enough without being too confusing.

wrote:
[​In retrospect, one of the reasons I enjoyed the race/species subdivision was that it at least let the active profiles sit on the top of the folders and didn't have so many pages. I think the tags are a good idea in theory, but I just can't say I don't think they aren't clunky either.​]1 It's going to cause more work to solve the archiving idea, and do people like the idea of archiving? Like I guess it's not hard to reach out to a moderator to have something unarchived, but it seems like a hell of a lot more work for the sake of organising what was already pretty well organised beyond the neutral section.

[​Being active on the forums is one way to keep yourself visible, but it doesn't help people window browse because even if they see you, they have to float so many pages. I only bump my threads when I make changes to them. The only viable way of really archiving threads is if maybe someone takes the time out to literally open every thread then open the OP's profile in a new tab to see when they last played.​]2

There are still directories too that exist, but it doesn't mean those people will be active either. I don't know, tit for tat when it comes to being more organised it means more work or having to think of solutions for the next bit of clutter that comes out of that fell swoop.

[1] – One of the reasons I wanted to try switching over this way is because maintaining 20+ subforums that just need exactly the same permissions across the board is made extremely difficult and tedious with Enjin's system. Tags are easier for me personally to manage, and my hope is that once I put together some filtering scripts, just browsing characters by certain criteria won't require going to so many different pages as it did before.

[2] – This pretty much sums up my reservations with the archiving idea. It doesn't help that the only options for automated archiving Enjin offers is "x days after the thread was first created"—so even if a thread remains active, it'll still be archived after those x days.
Posted Apr 17, 18 · OP · Last edited Apr 17, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+4,754
Spared a Coin
PC-NA
Daggerfall Covenant
Ebonheart Pact
Hew's Bane
High Rock
Okay Emmy I think I am completely missing something. Say I want to just look at vampire characters now that they have the tag. How, exactly, do I go about that?
enjin-1158862-9638302-blue.png
Posted Apr 17, 18 · Last edited Apr 17, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+1,165
Spared a Coin
PC-NA
Aldmeri Dominion
Daggerfall Covenant
Gold Coast
wrote:
Okay Emmy I think I am completely missing something. Say I want to just look at vampire characters now that they have the tag. How, exactly, do I go about that?
wrote:
wrote:

Click the tags that you see already, like vampire, and it'll open up to only threads with that tag. Which, I don't know if they are any but hey, it works in theory for that!

What was exactly said above, just click on the tag and it'll take you to a forum of people with that same tag, there are already several that are up there, including my own!

"Welcome my friend, sit down. I have a story to tell you about a woman who rose from the embers of nothing and created something beautiful."
-
The Covent | Dibellan Roleplay
Spirits Of Lore | Forum
-

Posted Apr 17, 18
Sweetrolls:
+4,754
Spared a Coin
PC-NA
Daggerfall Covenant
Ebonheart Pact
Hew's Bane
High Rock
wrote:
wrote:
wrote:
wrote:

Click the tags that you see already, like vampire, and it'll open up to only threads with that tag. Which, I don't know if they are any but hey, it works in theory for that!

What was exactly said above, just click on the tag and it'll take you to a forum of people with that same tag, there are already several that are up there, including my own!
Ah ha! Thanks you guys!
enjin-1158862-9638302-blue.png
Posted Apr 17, 18
Xev
Sweetrolls:
+1,019
PC-NA
Aldmeri Dominion
I like the idea of the labels, but I do not like that the subcategories were wiped.

Whenever you click on a label (as an example, Dunmer) you are given all posts with the Dunmer label, but no other labels show up then. Meaning if people haven't marked their threads as NA or EU characters, you're going to be hitting profiles that aren't even on the same server as you. Nor can you see the vampire/monster tags etc.

I get that the subcategories were more maintenance, but it's going to be more frustrating to browse for specific things now.
Posted Apr 17, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Checks-The-Calendar
Sweetrolls:
+762
Spared a Coin
wrote:
Currently, this will contain threads from all forums, but I am working on a way to filter them by platform as well. Ideally, that should be working in the next few days!
@Fyurae
Posted Apr 17, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+437
PC-NA
Aldmeri Dominion
Gold Coast
Summerset
wrote:
I like the idea of the labels, but I do not like that the subcategories were wiped.

Whenever you click on a label (as an example, Dunmer) you are given all posts with the Dunmer label, but no other labels show up then. Meaning if people haven't marked their threads as NA or EU characters, you're going to be hitting profiles that aren't even on the same server as you. Nor can you see the vampire/monster tags etc.

I get that the subcategories were more maintenance, but it's going to be more frustrating to browse for specific things now.

This is exactly where my feelings lie on the matter. Having played around on the forums this afternoon and evening I'm just not feeling the connection with the new setup. I get there were a lot of forums previously due to how popular the site is. But surely a middle ground could have been found, because this is honestly messier.
Posted Apr 17, 18 · Last edited Apr 17, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Page
of 5
NoticeNotices