• None
  • Light

Page
of 5

Update – Race, Faction, and Monster Labels; Character Post Filtering (soon)

43 replies
Sweetrolls:
+4,487
Spared a Coin
PC-NA
Cyrodiil
Gold Coast
I love the idea of tags, but I didn't realize at first that the racial subforums are being removed. I think this is a bad decision because it's clunkier and more confusing in the long run, especially for people without enjin savvy. I'm willing to bet most people won't understand they can sort by clicking on tags.

I suppose a way to try to mitigate this could be to have a "Characters" link on the main menu, with a dropdown that is sorted by race/faction/monster status and links to each tag... but I'm not sure how that would work with server (EU/NA) divisions. I definitely don't think it helps to have characters from both servers merged though.

I guess my main concern is that while I know how tags work cause I work with Enjin a lot I'm worried most people and especially new people won't understand how to sort through them to view the listings in a more organized fashion.
3NjF17Z.png

Lady Olyviana Ravnore 6znzDGU.pngHouse Ravnore | Imperial Vampire House
Posted Apr 18, 18 · Last edited Apr 18, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+1,160
Spared a Coin
PC-NA
Daggerfall Covenant
Hammerfell
High Rock
Really interesting update! I'm all for organizing and condensing subforums and I love the idea of tags. I think this format will help to expose people to characters they might not have seen otherwise if they remained cloistered in subforums. However I think others have already expressed my concern that the tag filtering is not terribly robust and may in fact hinder rather than help in searching or browsing. I'm not sure what Enjin's capabilities are as far as coding, but is there a way to veiw labels on the threads after filtering them? For instance, if I click on the Dunmer filter, is there a way to see other tags on the threads that show up (i.e. vampire, faction, etc.) or if I click a faction to see what race the characters are? I think that would help immensely. Also maybe having the tags somehow clickable on the front page for quick access to filters.

Thanks for your hard work!
IGN: @opallithia
Discord: opallithia#3008
Founder: Veldresi Enterprises
Project Manager: Homestead Directory
Posted Apr 18, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+4,754
Spared a Coin
PC-NA
Daggerfall Covenant
Ebonheart Pact
Hew's Bane
High Rock
Yes I had the crazy idea that there would be a page somewhere with all the tags laid out nice and clickable. I didn't realize I'd have to find a profile with the label I wanted and click from THERE to see the rest. Unless I'm once again missing something? Which wouldn't surprise me really... lol
enjin-1158862-9638302-blue.png
Posted Apr 18, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Web Wizard
Sweetrolls:
+1,860
PC-NA
Aldmeri Dominion
Daggerfall Covenant
Ebonheart Pact
Cyrodiil
wrote:
Whenever you click on a label (as an example, Dunmer) you are given all posts with the Dunmer label, but no other labels show up then. Meaning if people haven't marked their threads as NA or EU characters, you're going to be hitting profiles that aren't even on the same server as you.

wrote:
[...] Also maybe having the tags somehow clickable on the front page for quick access to filters.

wrote:
Yes I had the crazy idea that there would be a page somewhere with all the tags laid out nice and clickable. I didn't realize I'd have to find a profile with the label I wanted and click from THERE to see the rest. Unless I'm once again missing something? Which wouldn't surprise me really... lol

These are things I'm working on right now.

wrote:
I'm not sure what Enjin's capabilities are as far as coding, but is there a way to veiw labels on the threads after filtering them? For instance, if I click on the Dunmer filter, is there a way to see other tags on the threads that show up (i.e. vampire, faction, etc.) or if I click a faction to see what race the characters are? I think that would help immensely.

I'm not entirely certain if it's possible to hack Enjin to the extent necessary to pull this off, but I'll definitely look into it. Thanks for the feedback!
C1qqIJo.png
Characters / Get a profile URL

– @emmy-emi
Posted Apr 18, 18 · OP
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+857
PC-NA
PC-EU
Morrowind
Personally, I think this will be a really good change. Having subsections by race always seemed a bit odd to me. You've told us how to add tags and announced that this change is happening, so it's really on the players if they don't bother to tag their profiles. I don't really see any problem with it.

I'm not sure I would do factions, though. If you do Fighters Guild and Mages Guild, people will want other things like Tribunal Temple and Ash'Abah and Wyress and probably 50 other fairly major factions.
WARNING: MAY CONTAIN SALT.
My Art
Aaronen Nerathyl - Dunmeri Buoyant Armiger
Posted Apr 24, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+80
PC-NA
Daggerfall Covenant
Elsweyr
Hammerfell
Hew's Bane
I'm not sure I would do factions, though. If you do Fighters Guild and Mages Guild, people will want other things like Tribunal Temple and Ash'Abah and Wyress and probably 50 other fairly major factions.

While I agree that it would get tedious for the people coding and managing the site, more tags (even fifty tags) means it would be easier to find the specific types of characters that you want to RP with.
Khath - Khajiit thief
Weirdbeard - Orc dancer
Speaks-With-Fingers - Argonian alchemist
Sunny - Altmer templar
Sir Bartleby Cogsworth - Breton scholar
Daggon - Maormer fisherman
Enelaa - Dunmer bard
Djinn - Redguard mercenary
Siobhan - Nord blacksmith
Posted Apr 24, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+90
PC-NA
How about a Wood Orc tab? :)
Posted May 6, 18
Sweetrolls:
+857
PC-NA
PC-EU
Morrowind
Might it be good to do something similar for guilds? Remove the subforums for the different alliances now that One Tamriel has made them mostly irrelevant and add tags to help organize instead? Could add tags like "mercenary", "scholarly", "religious", and such as well as the alliances.
My Art
Posted May 6, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+4,487
Spared a Coin
PC-NA
Cyrodiil
Gold Coast
Might it be good to do something similar for guilds? Remove the subforums for the different alliances now that One Tamriel has made them mostly irrelevant and add tags to help organize instead? Could add tags like "mercenary", "scholarly", "religious", and such as well as the alliances.

I dunno, I like the guild forums being separate because guilds get bumped off the main page too fast otherwise. The neutral guild subforum is wildly active compared to the faction ones, which means those faction guilds would constantly be bumped off the first page unless they tried to stay at the top.
3NjF17Z.png

Lady Olyviana Ravnore 6znzDGU.pngHouse Ravnore | Imperial Vampire House
Posted May 6, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+857
PC-NA
PC-EU
Morrowind
Incentive to bump guild threads might help people know what ones are active, too, though. And you can still search for only guilds of a certain faction by using the tags with a single click, so it wouldn't really be any harder for people looking for alliance-related guilds to easily find them.
My Art
Posted May 6, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Page
of 5
NoticeNotices