Fire's soul, rising aloft.

I tasted the moon,
dance with the sun,
day-met-night upon the dune.

I saw the flowers bloom,
amid the dawning dunes.

~
xx
xxxxxxHe was garbed in desert silks, flowing in the evening winds. Fluttering crimson clashed with rippling azure across stalwart mahogany flesh. His form was neither short nor overly tall, scoured by the desert zephyrs into whipcord musculature. The sand-borne hillocks reflected in his wrinkled, lined visage. Coarse black growth stretched over a rugged jaw and time-worn cheeks, framing thin, close-set lips. The wild expanse of his crown-bound hair was tied 'hind in a ragged ponytail, leaving several strands to flutter in the wayward winds. A proud eagle nose shadowed further his near-hidden lips, as those inscrutable golden-green iris' scanned the horizon with patient sweeps.

The sabres reflected the near-faded sunlight, buried as they were in the striated sands. Each crossed and supported the other, diagonal to the horizon. The first step was heavy, a great collision of leather and sand, as he began to trudge slowly towards the East.

~

He sat upon his knees, unmoving as the evening breeze cooled his sun-baked flesh. Before him lay the sandstone tomb, sticks of incense infusing the air a heavy, cloying miasma. The stylus bit into his naked back, and with great restraint he suppressed that shuddering flinch that threatened to shake his form.

"Unaswa at-Bergama," He croaked out in a dry, dusty bass.

The muscles of his jaw danced beneath his skin as he clenched that bearded jaw. The stylus continued without pause and without change in pace, splitting his skin like so.

Several minutes passed, silent but for the softly murmuring winds. Within a moment of the first stylus ceasing, the next began, retracing over the carved lines of the first. Just as the first pain is nought compared to the prodding fingers of the bumbling healer, the second stylus caused ten-fold pain as it pressed deep into the wounded flesh.

It was only after the process ended, that he dared relax his aching jaw. With a sigh, he rolled his star-kissed shoulders, before standing slowly. He then turned to face the tattooist behind him, watching as the other man packed away his tools. "Thank you, Shalan," He rumbled slowly, tiredly. The other man nodded once, before standing as well. His voice was a deep, cheerful baritone.

"Always, Spell-Breaker." With a heavy, contented sigh, the tattooist straightened his back and rolled those muscled shoulders. "Do you need any ink?"

He nodded once, before pausing, his eyes fixed on the evening star. "Tell me, Shalan," he began, "Do you think all of our Father's treated this... arrangement as we do? Do you think they were friends, as we are, or simply business partners?"

The tattooist breathed heavily from his nostrils as a smirk tugged at his lips. "I think, Ra'Anacai, that our friendship is what it is, and let it be so. Do not worry yourself with such questions." The man paused a moment as he looked to the horizon. "My Father passed earlier this month."

He sighed, shaking his head. "I am sorry, Shalan. I did not know."

The tattooist nodded once. "I am going to return to his tomb tonight. I bid you farewell now, Ra'Anacai. Do not die on me in the meantime." The man offered a wry smile as the two clasped forearms.

~

This is the story of Ra'Anacai af-Anselimhi, Spell-Breaker and Descendant of Yokuda. (WiP)

~

On the Spell-Breakers -
This monastic order was formed in the early days of the Ra Gada arrival on Hammerfell. Their purpose is simple - complete negation of all magics used in the Alik'r, barring those holy or culturally sacrosanct. They hold to the Yokudan Gods to the last, still practicing some enduring customs that have since died out in the Forebear populated cities of Hammerfell.

In order to level the playing field between warrior and mage, the Spell-Breakers employ the use of talismans and Ganak, a blessed ink that temporarily stains the flesh and confers mystical benefits to the wearer. The Spell-Breakers draw these inks upon their flesh in symbols that honor the Gods.

Symbol of Tava - The flowing symbols of the Yokudan Goddess of Wind confer a high resistance to arcane fire.

Symbol of Leki - Symbols drawn in honor of Leki grant the Spell-Breaker a large tolerance to magical lightning.

Symbol of Tu'Whacca - Honoring Tu'Whacca in Ganak allows a Spell-Breaker to shrug off most of the effects of conjured frost.

Symbol of Ruptga - The Symbol of Ruptga, first Spirit to avoid the Hunger, grants the Spell-Breaker a similar ability, negating the effects of most magic cast upon their person.

Symbol of Onsi - Onsi's Symbol is the most costly, in both time and Ganak used. The Symbol blesses the Spell-Breaker with super-natural grace and agility, greatly heightening their abilities as a warrior.

While the Spell-Breakers hold to many of the Yokudan customs of old, they do not follow the path of the Ansei - they believe they are 'less' than ever being able to become Sword-Singers true, and so refuse to taint the name of Ansei with their perceived 'weakness'. Spell-Breakers do not forge their own swords, nor study the Book of Circles and other such scripture regularly. They do not believe they have the right to think of themselves so highly. This belief generally extends towards other Redguards seeking to emulate the Ansei, and although Ra'Anacai is far more tolerant than many of his forefathers, he will perceive this as hubris and arrogance in most cases. This general belief was one of the first divides between Spell-Breakers and larger Redguard society, and was a chief factor in their progress towards nomadic reclusion.
xxxxxx
x
x
Posted May 16, 18 · OP · Last edited May 16, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+173
Spared a Coin
Reserved
Posted May 16, 18 · OP
Art
Sweetrolls:
+1,186
hiR8YoM.png
That doesn't sound right, but I don't know enough about vampiric dragon priest lycanthropes to dispute it.

@Artiemes - The Viridian Mystery | Sir Salazar Halt | Ra Akam at-Arridi

Poetics | Provoking Fear | On Magic - An RP Guide for Using Magic
Posted May 16, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+1,927
I must admit this is a very stunning profile, although I am never surprised because you have managed to always format so beautifully so that it is easy to read in word while retaining aesthetics.
Posted May 16, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
NoticeNotices