Page
of 2

We got a TES VI Teaser

19 replies
Sweetrolls:
+833
PC-NA
Aldmeri Dominion
Disclaimer: I don't have any high quality images or video to watch, and I can definitely see that city area looking like a less-desert coast of Hammerfell. However, barring any sort of unnatural catastrophe or magical-dragon-break-Oblivion-gate-time-wound-soul-burst-doomcrag-explosion, I would say that area looks like it's full of glacial sediments. Does Bethesda take RL geologic features into consideration? Hopefully, but I don't know. This is all speculative. The jagged mountains throw off my groove when it comes to this glacial hypothesis, but hear me out.

That structure to the left of the image does not look like an impact crater (from my super low resolution standpoint). Craters are round and usually have a second ring a little ways out from their inner ring. To me, it looks like a valley cut by a glacier, or a receded glacial lake/river system. More convincing to me are the rocks and dirt you see strewn around. Vegetation is sparse, but, more importantly, there are what appear to be large, somewhat angular rocks and boulders scattered about at random. This would be called glacial till, loose sediment/rocks ground up by the glacier and then dropped out when it melted. I can't speak to the appearance of the buildings. I'd like to take a stab and say this is up north, somewhere around Jehana.

Spoiler: Fun Science FactShow
Aazla - Bosmer sneak thief extraordinaire
Nalwa the Knife - Black marketeer and mage
Triusa Valnralu - Cala El-Rhajin - Jaclyn Firestride - Eamon of Evermore
handle: @Teiglin14
2410625.jpg
Posted Jun 11, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+954
PC-NA
Aldmeri Dominion
Daggerfall Covenant
Cyrodiil
the next few years(?) of speculation will be intriguing
@RAVNIE on PC/NA
RAVNIE#1760 on DISCORD
TUMBLRCOMMISSIONS
BATTLEMAGE LOREBOARD WIP
CHARACTERS
RALENHEKTORETHON
ELETHIA ARGOS LINNWEN
MARROKMASTERLIST
GUIDES + TEMPLATES
NEW PLAYER GUIDE
CHARACTER TEMPLATES
BOOK & LETTER TEMPLATES
Posted Jun 11, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+4,349
Spared a Coin
PC-NA
Cyrodiil
Gold Coast
I want High Rock! Go Breton superiority!
3NjF17Z.png

Lady Olyviana Ravnore 6znzDGU.pngHouse Ravnore | Imperial Vampire House
Posted Jun 11, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Site Admin
Sweetrolls:
+1,083
Spared a Coin
News Archon
PC-NA
This be me.

68472890.jpg

But for real, I am so incredibly excited. I think it's High Rock. I don't even care, I'm just pumped we're finally getting it!
C1qqIJo.png
Posted Jun 11, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+7
NO. IT'S ELSWEYR. Change my mind. No, never mind. I'm gonna change yours.

So, I assume that not a lot of you guys have played Arena. That's perfectly cool. But I LOVED Arena. And I remembered a little tidbit, that really made me think about this trailer. You saw that building in the middle of the field, during the trailer, right?

unknown.png

Yeah, that one.

Well, take a look at the great big ole' crater that surrounds this building. You see it, right? The big drop right around this building? Ring any bells yet? Great Divide? The Halls of Colossus? No? Well, with your permission, allow me to enlighten you! According to the UESP:

"The Halls of Colossus is an ancient structure in the Quin'rawl Peninsula of southern Elsweyr. The complex, perched on a cliff overlooking the Great Divide,[1] is on annexed land, much of which is now magically polluted."

Now, let's take a few moments here to really delve into the placement, here. We can start with a basic map of Elsweyr, showing the Halls of Colossus as that big, half-dome shape in the Central-Southern area of the Peninsula:

AR-map-Elsweyr.png

Well, now that we have all the information we need, let's dig into this little bit of lore-knowledge and sate some curiosity. Let's quote from the UESP, this first part:

1. "The Halls of Colossus is an ancient structure in the Quin'rawl Peninsula of southern Elsweyr."
-Well, the Introduction we've been provided in this teaser is nothing but water, water, and more water, so check.

2. "The complex, perched on a cliff overlooking the Great Divide..."
- Plastered on a great big cliff, overlooking a GIANT RIFT? Check, check.

3. "...on annexed land, much of which is now magically polluted."
-Okay, I don't have anything for this, but I mean. Come on.

If you guys want to learn a little bit more about this Arena-old lore, I have some links you guys can check out, here!

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Halls_of_Colossus
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Great_Divide

EDIT: Oh, for those of you saying "there's not enough curvature, it can't be the peninsula!"
The big issue with that is that, map portrayals differ EVERYWHERE. Even in maps that are made by Bethesda, themselves. Changes are always made, things are always different in geography, and developers aren't always going to trace landscapes to a dot. I don't think that map-tracing is the way to go about this; moreso, the landmarks themselves.

But, if we're doing map-based comparisons: There is no curvature in the land, on that trailer, save for a little dent in the land, followed by the rest of the land going slowly to the right. Well, from an East-facing perspective, that looks a lot like the curvature we see on the Arena map, for the Peninsula.

And for those of you talking about how it can't be Elsweyr because of the Tenmar Forest in that area: The forest could actually be a bit further up than your map projections, and blocked by cliffs. Especially considering we've never actually seen Elsweyr, save for Arena, and that's not the most enlightening of geographical experiences. In which case, it would actually make a lot more sense for this area we see to be more grassy; it'd be simple biome transition, from forests to a more arid environment.
jcK1xm1.png
Posted Jun 12, 18 · Last edited Jun 12, 18
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+832
PC-NA
Ebonheart Pact
Morrowind
-Prepares counter response-

writing.gif

Bethesda and Zenimax do take artistic license when it comes to maps, that is true. However, they usually retain the same shape even when given more detail (such as rivers, lakes, etc). If we ignore the dumb moment of western Morrowind vanishing off the face of the earth, Tamriel's shape has been relatively stable since the release of official maps when the franchise was more established. In Arena, however, the continent was a blocky mess. Look at the blob that was Vvardenfell:

AR-map-Morrowind_towns.png

For that reason, I wouldn't put much stock into the Arena map for Elsweyr. A lot has changed. For that reason, lemme work my Paint skills on the map that came with the Anthology bundle and see how Elsweyr is depicted and how the direction can work. Let's assume we're only discussing whether we're viewing the direction towards Senchal, and not from Senchal to Cyrodiil (the landscape on the horizon rules this out completely):

unknown.png 6b8f6603b4b5d380c276bb7a32598c5e.png

The Anthology map is more detailed than any previous map of Tamriel. On it, we can see mountain ranges, rivers, lakes, and grasslands. Assuming we go eastward from the possible Halls of the Colossus, it does not make sense for the north (left) area of Elsweyr to completely turn into a mountain range where the map indicates grassland. Remember this is the same map that portrays the canon geography of Skyrim, Morrowind and Cyrodiil. If this were Elsweyr, the mountain range would be much closer to the coast. I'll concede that one peak almost meets the coast, but the rest of the mountains are overlapping onto grassland the Anthology map depicts.

cbef07af4050ac6947605174ba19d469.png7ddf12ed6bb4b61b015283ee2e46cec9.png

High Rock and Hammerfell are better contenders because the placement of the mountains and the direction of the landscape is all too fitting. Brown circle = Mountains. Black circle = ruins. Red arrow = rough direction of the landscape shot:

0b60cdf26eba051c2428d7970c07983f.png High Rock: From Farrun to Rivenspire
33288b7a0e1fe49132ce155fc6c8d961.png Hammerfell: From Taneth to Rihad
639e225cdefe099bdb1d51b799b37467.png Hammefell: From Hegathe to Gilane
e59bb74020f349a116950bfd83efa01f.png High Rock: Northpoint to Doomcrag (Probably the least likely)

Furthermore, I doubt that Bethesda would turn the Halls of the Colossus into an uninspired facsmile of a small ruin of an Imperial fort from TES IV. If anything, it's far from "complex".

Putting the trailer aside, we have plenty of lore/story reasons for why Hammerfell is the primary contender for the setting:
- Hammerfell is now an independent nation that has pushed the Dominion back without the Empire. If the setting provides both High Rock and Hammerfell, we could see an interesting juxtaposition between Imperial rule and an independent country. Elsweyr as a setting is limited due to the Third Dominion's rule over Anequina and Pelletine.

- Skyrim provided a lot of lore regarding the goings on in Hammerfell. Saadia betraying Taneth, Orsinium in the Dragontail Mountains, and the Empire abandoning Hammerfell pursuant to the White-Gold Concordat are some examples. Elsweyr has no relevance apart from the Khajiit being banned from entering cities for thievery and a one off line about the sands of Elsweyr.

- Hammerfell would have a lot of diversity in terms of ruins. Yokudan, Dwemer, Nedic, the list goes on. If High Rock is included, we'd see Breton and Ayleid ruins.

- The Thalmor made an attempt to invade, but were pushed back. Hammerfell may be one of the only countries to openly defy the Thalmor and succeed. That would make them a considerable threat to the Dominion. Elsweyr is just another subservient vassal state, as it has been in the First and Second Dominions. If TES VI were to be set in Elsweyr, we'd have to do the whole rebellion plot again, which would be a repetition of TES V.

- There is always a Tower. Every game since TES II has involved a Tower in some way. Walk-Brass, The Red Tower, White-Gold and Snow-Throat were all pivotal to the game's story. Ada-Mantia is in the Iliac Bay, where Elsweyr has no Tower at all. Yes, Ada-Mantia appeared in TES II, but was not the focus of the story (you went there to free Medora Direnni from a curse and that's about it).

Alternatively Todd Howard is reading this right now and suddenly changes the setting to Skyrim for Skyrim 2: Thu'um Boogaloo.
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Art
Sweetrolls:
+1,597
UaLpJOK.jpg

Thanks todd
wrote:
-Prepares counter response-

writing.gif

Bethesda and Zenimax do take artistic license when it comes to maps, that is true. However, they usually retain the same shape even when given more detail (such as rivers, lakes, etc). If we ignore the dumb moment of western Morrowind vanishing off the face of the earth, Tamriel's shape has been relatively stable since the release of official maps when the franchise was more established. In Arena, however, the continent was a blocky mess. Look at the blob that was Vvardenfell:

AR-map-Morrowind_towns.png

For that reason, I wouldn't put much stock into the Arena map for Elsweyr. A lot has changed. For that reason, lemme work my Paint skills on the map that came with the Anthology bundle and see how Elsweyr is depicted and how the direction can work. Let's assume we're only discussing whether we're viewing the direction towards Senchal, and not from Senchal to Cyrodiil (the landscape on the horizon rules this out completely):

unknown.png 6b8f6603b4b5d380c276bb7a32598c5e.png

The Anthology map is more detailed than any previous map of Tamriel. On it, we can see mountain ranges, rivers, lakes, and grasslands. Assuming we go eastward from the possible Halls of the Colossus, it does not make sense for the north (left) area of Elsweyr to completely turn into a mountain range where the map indicates grassland. Remember this is the same map that portrays the canon geography of Skyrim, Morrowind and Cyrodiil. If this were Elsweyr, the mountain range would be much closer to the coast. I'll concede that one peak almost meets the coast, but the rest of the mountains are overlapping onto grassland the Anthology map depicts.

cbef07af4050ac6947605174ba19d469.png7ddf12ed6bb4b61b015283ee2e46cec9.png

High Rock and Hammerfell are better contenders because the placement of the mountains and the direction of the landscape is all too fitting. Brown circle = Mountains. Black circle = ruins. Red arrow = rough direction of the landscape shot:

0b60cdf26eba051c2428d7970c07983f.png High Rock: From Farrun to Rivenspire
33288b7a0e1fe49132ce155fc6c8d961.png Hammerfell: From Taneth to Rihad
639e225cdefe099bdb1d51b799b37467.png Hammefell: From Hegathe to Gilane
e59bb74020f349a116950bfd83efa01f.png High Rock: Northpoint to Doomcrag (Probably the least likely)

Furthermore, I doubt that Bethesda would turn the Halls of the Colossus into an uninspired facsmile of a small ruin of an Imperial fort from TES IV. If anything, it's far from "complex".

Putting the trailer aside, we have plenty of lore/story reasons for why Hammerfell is the primary contender for the setting:
- Hammerfell is now an independent nation that has pushed the Dominion back without the Empire. If the setting provides both High Rock and Hammerfell, we could see an interesting juxtaposition between Imperial rule and an independent country. Elsweyr as a setting is limited due to the Third Dominion's rule over Anequina and Pelletine.

- Skyrim provided a lot of lore regarding the goings on in Hammerfell. Saadia betraying Taneth, Orsinium in the Dragontail Mountains, and the Empire abandoning Hammerfell pursuant to the White-Gold Concordat are some examples. Elsweyr has no relevance apart from the Khajiit being banned from entering cities for thievery and a one off line about the sands of Elsweyr.

- Hammerfell would have a lot of diversity in terms of ruins. Yokudan, Dwemer, Nedic, the list goes on. If High Rock is included, we'd see Breton and Ayleid ruins.

- The Thalmor made an attempt to invade, but were pushed back. Hammerfell may be one of the only countries to openly defy the Thalmor and succeed. That would make them a considerable threat to the Dominion. Elsweyr is just another subservient vassal state, as it has been in the First and Second Dominions. If TES VI were to be set in Elsweyr, we'd have to do the whole rebellion plot again, which would be a repetition of TES V.

- There is always a Tower. Every game since TES II has involved a Tower in some way. Walk-Brass, The Red Tower, White-Gold and Snow-Throat were all pivotal to the game's story. Ada-Mantia is in the Iliac Bay, where Elsweyr has no Tower at all. Yes, Ada-Mantia appeared in TES II, but was not the focus of the story (you went there to free Medora Direnni from a curse and that's about it).

Alternatively Todd Howard is reading this right now and suddenly changes the setting to Skyrim for Skyrim 2: Thu'um Boogaloo.

This has been such an emotional rollercoaster
FUdp6jx.png

Art#1228 - The Viridian Mystery I | Sir Salazar Halt | Ra Akam at-Arridi

Poetics | Provoking Fear | An RP Guide for Magic | The Grimoire
Posted Jun 12, 18 · OP
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+332
This is so far been one of my favorite threads in ESO-RP. Keep it up.
Posted Jun 12, 18
Sweetrolls:
+78
PC-NA
Ebonheart Pact
I think we're actually going to go to Cyrodil. There are trees and grass, so it must be Cyrodil. :^)

Jokes aside, we won't be hearing about the game for another few years. My guess is that Starfield will be the first new game with a new engine by Bethesda, and Starfield will be the testing grounds for said engine. ES6 will then run on that engine with improvements.

We're essentially looking at a potential 6+ years until a release date for ES6. 3 years will be Starfield, I think. Next E3 we get a trailer, then the one after that we'll get gameplay.

They announced it just to quell the rage-nerds, not because it's near. Don't get too excited just yet, because we'll be waiting a long while.
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+397
Spared a Coin
PC-NA
Ebonheart Pact
Skyrim
http://pulseaura.tumblr.com/post/174786773628/youre-all-welcome-the-geographies-and-the-lore

Some are Theorizing that it may be AKavir, which would be a fun idea.
viearresized.png
"I try to create sympathy for my characters, then turn the monsters loose."– Stephen King
Viear Askulla | Bheiv Lefevre | Balfour Thornbinder | ESO Tumblr
Posted Jun 12, 18
Page
of 2
NoticeNotices