• None
  • Light

The Convocation of the Tower Lords

6 replies
Sweetrolls:
+132
PmfCvCU.png

WHAT IT IS:

The Dunmer are creatures of meticulous, fastidious tradition and perennial ceremony, stifling their hot-blooded violent streak with a culture mired in sacred duties and austere cultural obligations. However, if there is one great house of the Dunmer people which interprets duty and tradition very loosely, it is Great House Telvanni. Though they would describe themselves as an open-ended meritocracy, their complex and often sinister magocratic politics amount more truthfully to a kraterocracy, leaving each mage-lord beholden only to the increasingly erratic and absurd nature of his or her own whims. Nonetheless, it should never be said that the Telvanni eschew all sense and weight of Dunmer tradition. Indeed, even they are subject to certain ancient customs which, though bemoaned and begrudged as they are, remain observed to this day.

One such custom is the ancient and infamous Convocation of the Tower Lords. The Convocation has changed often during the millennia it has been celebrated (or reviled, as some would see it), taking on different incarnations and rules and languishing under a plethora of standing speakers and hosts, as malleable and mutable as the ever-capricious Telvanni wizards themselves. Being an entirely optional event, it has at times completely fallen out of favor, where at other times it has experienced great popularity.

First and foremost, the Convocation is a gathering, as its name would imply, of Telvanni mages from all different standings and backgrounds. Rank and title are left behind, every attending mage invited to participate on equal footing (or relatively equal – for even under the pretense of equity, the Telvanni manage to sneak in acts of nepotism and self-indulgence). This gathering is meant to allow Telvanni mages an unbiased foundation upon which to lay bare their successes, make and break political alliances, discuss the latest news of Morrowind and exploit a perfect opportunity to quarrel with and assault one another (in a moderately organized fashion).

Having been all but forgotten for a time, the custom has recently been resurrected by the mage-lord Zarthil Tavorath at the behest of certain councilors attempting to occupy his brief attention span with something possessing the false appearance of importance. Acting as the incumbent Speaker of the Convocation, Mage-lord Tavorath has issued a formal invitation to members of House Telvanni from all backgrounds and occupations to attend the next formal Convocation, the first in nearly fifty years.

WHAT TO EXPECT:

Preliminary Announcements

The Convocation begins with a few brief words from the host, ranging from general news across the Telvanni territories of Zafirbel Bay and Azura's Coast to specific occurrences of import within the various mushroom towers and vassal properties owned by individual mage-lords. News regarding the other houses and events upon Vvardenfell at large may also be shared, provided they are of any interest to House Telvanni. During this time, any changes to the schedule or special surprises may also be announced.

The Circle of Boasts

During the Circle of Boasts, Telvanni mages are invited to share their research findings and magical discoveries. As no sane mage-lord would ever willingly share what is his or hers without some palpable self-benefit, the Circle of Boasts is a place for just that: boasting. The purpose, therefore, is not to educate one's enemies, but to make them boil in their seats as you demonstrate irrefutably how much more mastery you possess over magic than they do. Mages and mage-lords are encouraged to guard their secrets at their own discretion. Let slip too much information during a boast and you may find your hard-won knowledge stolen wholesale by enterprising listeners, or you may become the target of more sinister saboteurs...

Declaration of Grievances

Directly after the Circle of Boasts, the assembled mages and mage-lords are invited to (in an orderly fashion, and without resorting to discordant acts of violence – this will come later) take turns reciting a well-constructed and eloquent account of all that which, in recent weeks, has inconvenienced or annoyed them. Personal attacks against other mages are perfectly acceptable as long as any accusations can be substantiated with evidence. Otherwise, the grievance will be considered a spurious aspersion and the aggrieved will be labeled a liar and a malcontent and subject to grievances levied against him or her in the future.

The Rites of Scathing

Immediately following the Declaration of Grievances, the speaker shall no doubt recognize that tempers may be flaring, which leads us to the penultimate event: the Rites of Scathing. This is an ancient Telvanni ceremony and considered a magnificent spectacle to behold. Any two Telvanni mages wishing to resolve a dispute (whether a pre-existing disagreement or to resolve lingering resentment from a declared grievance) may engage in a duel to settle their affairs. By Telvanni law, might makes right, and the winner of such a duel will be given the sanction, support and approval of his or her fellow Telvanni. Resolution of these duels will be left to the two engaging parties, whether it should be decided by rolling the dice, by PvP, or by lengthy, protracted emotes. They are of a personal nature AND SHOULD BE DONE FOR FUN and kept entirely in-character, not to resolve out-of-character conflicts or real life disagreements.

Tea and Shein

When everyone's scorch marks are adequately healed, beverages will be served and the Convocation will conclude with a period of relaxation and socialization for those who have not been obliterated.

TIME AND PLACE

The Convocation will (ALMSIVI permitting) take place Saturday, at 7 PM EST time, January 12th in Sadrith Mora, most likely within the council house. Feel free to post any questions on the forum thread or send me a personal message.
tltzLfS.png
Posted Jan 4, 19 · OP · Last edited Jan 4, 19
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+672
PC-NA
Ebonheart Pact
Morrowind
Really love this idea! Are there any limitations on how many people to bring or the like? Say if one group has a few Telvanni mages in its ranks, can each group only bring two-three mages or can all attend?
Kinravah Telvanni - Dunmer - Wizard Lady of Tel Ravah Tower and Roleplay Guild. http://telravah.enjin.com/
Posted Jan 4, 19
Sweetrolls:
+316
I've been waiting for this, I'm thrilled to see this post up! I am very much looking forward to next saturday.
Posted Jan 4, 19 · Last edited Jan 4, 19
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+132
Really love this idea! Are there any limitations on how many people to bring or the like? Say if one group has a few Telvanni mages in its ranks, can each group only bring two-three mages or can all attend?

As it stands, there's no limitations on how many people can come. This is an experimental prototype event to test the waters and see how things go. If more people arrive than I was expecting and things become chaotic, I may implement different rules or methods of control in the future, or appoint more people to assist. But I doubt it will become unmanageable.
tltzLfS.png
Posted Jan 4, 19 · OP
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+316
This is tonight at 7pm EST and I'm bumping it because Zarthie will forget and I'm better than him.
Posted Jan 12, 19 · Last edited Jan 12, 19
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+132
This is tonight at 7pm EST and I'm bumping it because Zarthie will forget and I'm better than him.

yep. it's true.

Also, as a final wrinkle, to anyone wishing to join who can't find the right phasing, simply whisper @Zarthil for a group. Then you can port over, compliments of house. House Telvanni. Heheheh.
tltzLfS.png
Posted Jan 12, 19 · OP
Sweetroll
List
Undo
Sweetrolls:
+672
PC-NA
Ebonheart Pact
Morrowind
This event went really well! Thank you so much for hosting it and I hope you do it again.
Kinravah Telvanni - Dunmer - Wizard Lady of Tel Ravah Tower and Roleplay Guild. http://telravah.enjin.com/
Posted Jan 18, 19
Sweetroll
List
Undo
NoticeNotices